Rolled Edge Felt

SkipperJohn

Here is an example of a Prussian rolled edge felt Ersatz:

XiByw5t.jpg

The fittings were originally grey and then over-painted with grey-green paint:

N9zFpvN.jpg

The spike and base retain most of the grey-green paint, but it has chipped off in several locations. The green paint on the Wappen has largely worn off but can still be seen in some areas. Perhaps the green paint did not adhere well to the oxidized grey surface of the Wappen:

pgEqxh8.jpg

The liner has an unusual feature in that it is dyed on both sides. It is also slightly too small for the helmet, so the manufacturer sewed another, additional tongue in the back to make up the difference:

3W68HU1.jpg

The stitching for the liner; however, is all original:

oNCM7pW.jpg

The rolled edge stitching is untouched as well:

kt5bKCh.jpg

9myNSI8.jpg

The rolled edge helped to retain the shape of this helmet as there is no rear spine:

VUvvDUO.jpg

The M91 lugs and steel hardware were painted green, but it is largely gone. There is evidence that even the chinstrap was green at one time:

yuZyaAo.jpg

iDpCYsV.jpg

The helmet is marked, but badly faded. All that I can make out is size "54":

VI8ayyC.jpg

I believe that the only manufacturer of these helmets was J. Bambus & Co. and they are usually marked on the liner. The liner on this helmet is very worn and I can not identify any markings.

John :)

A great looking helmet John, congratulations! =D>

Thanks for sharing it with us! :thumb up:

These J. Bambus & Co. helmets are really cool with the rolled edge.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Another "example" of rolled edge felt...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-German-Ersatz-Picklhaube-complete/193320566529?hash=item2d02cdbf01%3Ag%3A7xAAAOSwLJdeL1cN&LH_Auction=1

ebeeby said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-German-Ersatz-Picklhaube-complete/193320566529?hash=item2d02cdbf01%3Ag%3A7xAAAOSwLJdeL1cN&LH_Auction=1

Split pins on the spike look like they may have been replaced. ?

aicusv said:
ebeeby said:

Split pins on the spike look like they may have been replaced. ?

Here is yet another example currently for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-German-Ersatz-Felt-Simplified-Rolled-Edge-Pickelhaube-Prussian-1915-WW1-WW2/143522557874?hash=item216a9c6fb2:g:6D8AAOSw2oheNoJg

It has some obvious issues.

Here is an example of a Prussian rolled edge felt Ersatz:

XiByw5t.jpg

The fittings were originally grey and then over-painted with grey-green paint:

N9zFpvN.jpg

The spike and base retain most of the grey-green paint, but it has chipped off in several locations. The green paint on the Wappen has largely worn off but can still be seen in some areas. Perhaps the green paint did not adhere well to the oxidized grey surface of the Wappen:

pgEqxh8.jpg

The liner has an unusual feature in that it is dyed on both sides. It is also slightly too small for the helmet, so the manufacturer sewed another, additional tongue in the back to make up the difference:

3W68HU1.jpg

The stitching for the liner; however, is all original:

oNCM7pW.jpg

The rolled edge stitching is untouched as well:

kt5bKCh.jpg

9myNSI8.jpg

The rolled edge helped to retain the shape of this helmet as there is no rear spine:

VUvvDUO.jpg

The M91 lugs and steel hardware were painted green, but it is largely gone. There is evidence that even the chinstrap was green at one time:

yuZyaAo.jpg

iDpCYsV.jpg

The helmet is marked, but badly faded. All that I can make out is size "54":

VI8ayyC.jpg

I believe that the only manufacturer of these helmets was J. Bambus & Co. and they are usually marked on the liner. The liner on this helmet is very worn and I can not identify any markings.

A great M15 ersatz helmet. Congrats John.

We have established here on the forum that the Bambus Company did produce this unique style of helmet.

We have established here on the forum that the Bambus Company did produce this unique style of helmet.
In my opinion, we are not sure that all rolled edge spike helmets are Bambus production. Bambus did not always place its brand, and therefore we do not know if there were other companies that produced with similar characteristics. So the topic still remains open.

Back