Sachsen Landwehr-Infanterie-Brigade Nr. 63 (Dresden) XII Armee Korps

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Well, ok, not really a 'Latest Find" as I have had these for years, but never posted the Waffenrock here before.

In 2013 I retired my trusted Fuji of 12 years, and here is the last set to be photographed with a camera that took over 9000 images.

At first glance your first impression might be that it is Kgl. Sächs. Infanterie-Regt. Prinz Kaiser of Wienerburg Nr.63 - but this cannot be? [-(

Oberschlesisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.63 who wore yellow shoulder straps, was a Prussian Regt. garrisoned in Oppeln and Lublinitz as part of the VI Armee Korps. So why the 63 on a Saxon shoulder strap?

The Waffenrock is actually from Sachsen Landwehr-Infanterie-Brigade Nr. 63 (Dresden) XII Armee Korps. This is a beautiful M1895 NCO Waffenrock in near flawless condition. No moth, wear, or damage whatsoever. It has everything that I desire in a nice Imperial German Waffenrock; condition, Unteroffizier lace and buttons, and from a very obscure unit. Did I mention outstanding condition?

Exactly the type of Landwehr tunic that would get Col. Joe Robinson spinning circles.

As a collector, I am interested only in uniforms and headgear, so admit I am not fully cognisant of the military structure of how the 63 Landwehr Brigade fell into or under the Landwehr-Bezirks (district). So hopefully I correctly identified it as Sachsen Landwehr-Infanterie-Brigade Nr. 63.

Click HERE to see the Waffenrock in detail.

Or HERE to see the Pickelhaube.

dbt13g.jpg

I have been asked several times why I do not disassemble the Wappen and remove the mysterious black paint on the Neusilber (nickel silver) Landwehr star . The simple answer is that I did not put the black paint there. so why should I remove it? A young guy walked into a militaria show in 1986 (?) in Calgary Alberta with three Picklhauben. I made a good offer, and went to the home the next day to meet a very nice family, and bought the three Pickelhauben of which this is one. The family had no clue as to what they were, just that they were family items no one wanted. So they certainly had nothing to do with the black paint on the star. So I have no idea why the star was painted black or when, but the star stays black.

dbh13.jpg

Nice set, I agree with you about the paint. I've learned the hard way, "if you don't know, leave it a lone'".

Very nice set Tony!

I agree, with the black paint on the cross, I would leave it as is too.

Congratulations! :bravo:

J.LeBrasseur said:
Love it and I love the Black on the cross, nice find back in 1986...
James
It just occurred to me that I was only 26 years old in 1986. Funny how I call the seller a “young guy” when so was I!

[/quote] It just occurred to me that I was only 26 years old in 1986. Funny how I call the seller a “young guy” when so was I!
[/quote]

Recently had a disagreement with an old guy at the local Legion Post. Claimed he was a Viet Nam vet, I said, "BS - I remember that war, they were all young guys."

Tony Unforkinbelievable!!!!

What deal with the Devil did you sign to get such a fantastically rare and impeccably beautiful example of this Waffenrock???

Not a spot on it! The color and condition are striking!

The helmet is a knockout as well and really it is a match made in heaven!

Bravo! Bravo!

John

An awesome set T and yet another example from your world class collection! :thumb up:

Back