Saxon Cockades

Chip Minx

Hello,

Someone is trying to tell me that there is no such thing as a serrated edge Saxon Pickelhaube cockade. I had always thought that they started making them during the war. Here is an example which I have had since the mid-1970s. It looks perfect to me. Can anyone site any regulations either confirming or denying the existence of the serrated edge enlisted cockades?

Thanks,
Chip

I do not have the regulations, but I can tell you I have seen and have both and have no doubt they are both real!

I think yours looks just fine!

James :D

Thanks James. This is my belief as well, but I am hearing this from German collectors and they want proof. Even a period photo would do. I only have one wartime photo of a Saxon enlisted man with a Pickelhaube and it is a felt example and appears to have the round cockade. So, if anyone can share a photo, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chip

Or better yet, let the German collectors snub the serated Saxon cockade and keep the price a bit lower until we can grab them all up.
Gus

Chip,

I will look at photos. Tony regularly has better close-up photos than I do -- however in the artifact department I have seen serrated edges as well as serrated edges with the "V" cut in for the M91 posts. :p Good challenge

trawnickOYV450.jpg

A cavalry helmet. :p :p

joerookery said:
A cavalry helmet.

Don't get those mixed up Joe. The Sachsen Cavalry never used round Kokarden. They were always large serated like this 67mm example below. Like Chip, I have seen some standard wartime M91 post type serated Kokarde in those Sachsen colors, and I think they are original too, I have one on a helmet. Unfortunately, the current fake makers hammer out tons of these as well.

dbh50b.jpg

Still no joy -- I have looked at hundreds of Saxon pictures. Most of them you just cannot tell. Most of the pictures are early war. The best ones that are later war seem to be wedding photos. Just have not seen it yet -- too hard to tell in many cases -- I have not given up.

In my Endless search for cockades I found this picture, no cockades but I thought it was fun that he was late to invite the number three to the party!
103.jpg

Okay small things amuse me -- I'm old and played way too much golf yesterday -- I am sore. :cool:

I recently just sold my Saxon M15 helmet marked to JR100. It had an original Saxon serrated edge kokarde on it. The chin strap was also original to the helmet. The kokarde was exactly like Chips' example. I have no doubt in my mind that this varriation was used. The helmet came from a Butterfield and Butterfield auction of the Jackson Hogg Triggs collection years ago. This guy collected everything from Greek helmets, Napoleonic, British to WW1. He had a barn full of stuff on his estate. Everything was donated to the Smithsonian upon his death. They auctioned off those items that they thought were not relevant to their collection or that they already had. There were hundreds of swords 25 to 30 pickelhauben. Randy T was bidding also and I scored 4 helmets including a nice Hessen OR pre 1895 and a Wurtt M95 Arty helme. Those were the days! Brian

For what its worth catagory.

In 1985 my wife and I traveled to the UK for the first time. During our trip we attended the Nottingham Arms Fair. At the Fair we met a man who was making stamped steel replica EM cockardes in any color you wished them to be, in fact he would sell them unfinished if you wanted them. I asked him at the time if he made the Saxon patterns ones and he told me it was too expensive to make the die. It was my impression from him that he had been making these for some time and it was not a new endeavor for him. At the time he lived in Aldershot and his name was/is Jeremy Tenniswood (if I remember correctly). Mr Tenniswood was not attempting to sell these as original, merely providing them for restoration purposes.

To futher muddy the issue I have in my collection an 1867 pattern Saxon Cavalry Helmet with the large, rounded cockade. It appears to be of an alloy metal with a painted green ring.

Larry

The only response that I can make to that Larry is that Randy Trawnik life time collector, author and partner in that Age of Kings web site confirmed to me that such a serrated edged kokarde was used. However, as Tony Schnurr would say unless we have an original picture clearly showing the serrated edge then all the rest is just conjecture. Brian

Back