Saxon Garde Reiter Helmet to Parade

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

Here's a helmet that was recently discussed on another forum, and sent back to the seller who currently listed it on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Germany-Saxon-Heavy-Cavalry-Regiment-Helmet-Model-1889-1907/154298590444?hash=item23ece9a4ec:g:OuUAAOSw8H5f9389

I believe the lion is bad, as is the base for the lion and the shield and gold color cypher as well.

Liner looks to have been replaced.

This is the first metal officer cavalry helmet that I have ever seen that only has a vent hole in the top of the helmet, with No Spike Base Holes whatsoever.

Notice also how the oval shaped base for the lion sits very far back on the top of the helmet, as compared to known originals.

Best Regards,

Alan

Alan,

Thank you for the heads up! It's awesome to point out the bad ones so that collectors who may lurk on the boards but not ask questions have a chance of avoiding the landmines.

That looks like one of the helmets that the UK forger in the 70's ( I don't recall his name) used to make of the GdC helmets.

I must say though you have not taken into account that the lion may have been mounted so far back was that the officer was a hunchback and the lion would actually then be standing upright correctly! :lol: :p

John

Thank you for pointing this out, Alan.
A very acceptable movie prop, but still completely bogus. Look at the Saxony Arms star on a real GR officer helmet, and compare with this one... and as you noticed, tha absence of holes for spike base attachment closes the case if any doubt subsisted.

Back