Saxon M1910 Infantry NCO Schirmmütze

RON

A M1910 Infantry Schirmmütze was on my list and I finally got it :D .
I would've preferred it to be Prussian for consistency purposes--my M1910 Artillery Schirmmütze is Prussian (hereafter)--but I guess Saxon isn't bad either.

As mentioned to Philippe in his thread, it comes with Offiziers Kokarden.
Since it is made from an average quality Feldgrau wool with a wool red band and piping, it is not an Officer Cap despite the very tall stiff shape. Interior has an Ersatz Alkor (replacement leather) sweatband with a white artificial silk lining.
From what I've learned here, I can assume it is an Unteroffiziere mit Portepee Schirmmütze... Any chance it could be something else too?

As I haven't received it yet, I can only post the seller's photos:
SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeM1910a.jpg

SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeM1910c.jpg

Ron, I think this is a nice saxon infantry officer Mütze! The average quality of cloth is not a significant criterion to determinate the rank!!! There were rich and less rich Offiziere. The cockades are the criterion!
Note that this Mütze could also have been worn by an Unteroffizier mit Portepee or a Fähnrich!

Philippe :salute:

After a close examination of my Saxon Schirmmütze, I noticed it seemed to have had a different State cockade at some point in its history (see the 2 small extra holes left & right of the center one where the Saxon Cockade's split brads went in the photos hereafter). Since he hat had no markings whatsoever, I decided to buy a nice Prussian Officer Landwehr Cockade which matched the 'extra' holes perfectly and thus enabled me to 'upgrade' my visor cap.
SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910e.jpg

SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910f.jpg

SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910i.jpg

SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910h.jpg

SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910j.jpg

SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910l.jpg
SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910m.jpg

SaxonInfantryNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910k.jpg

PrussianInfantryLandwehrReserveNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910g-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryLandwehrReserveNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910h-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryLandwehrReserveNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910d.jpg

PrussianInfantryLandwehrReserveNCOSchirmmtzeVisorCapM1910b.jpg

PrussianEMNCOMtzenM1910a.jpg

With the arrival of the M1915 Officer/NCO Schirmmütze, photos of which I posted yesterday, I decided to place both hats side by side for some basic benchmarking.

As already mentioned, the M1915 has a thicker Prussian Cockade although it doesn't go through the lining on the inside when the M1910 Prussian cockade has a 'normal' thickness but does pierce through lining.

The M1910 has a nicer teller form, is slightly taller than its M1915 counterpart and has a much stronger visor. The M1915 has this cheaper fabric under the red band--a wartime feature--when the M1910 is consistent in quality all the way down.

So far, nothing seemed really alarming until I decided to test the hats under a black light... It turns out the M1910's red band glows like there's no tomorrow although it came from a trustworthy source (Collector's Guild)! Even the red dot inside the Prussian cockade glows! #-o

I don't know what to make of this; do you? :eek: 8-[ [-o<

Caps-PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzenVisorCapsM1910M1915.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzenVisorCapsM1910M1915b.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzenVisorCapsM1910M1915c.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzenVisorCapsM1910M1915d.jpg

Back