Saxon Police Tschako/Kepi

SCHUPO

Gents,

This is an example of the Saxon Police cap worn by the Landespolizei (LAPO) prior to the adoption of a squat version of the black Police Tschako in the late 1930s. The front cockade has the coat of arms for Saxony and this insignia was worn by municipal police and Gendarmerie prior to the addition of a lower wreath around the button for Landgendarmerie after circa 1934-35. The stiff kepi is covered in blue wool cloth and it has police green piping along with a leather chin strap. There is also a cord of silver bullion around the base of the cap indicating rank.

Frankly, I don't know if this is technically a Tschako or not but it was replaced by a distinctive black leather Tschako that was shaped in this same manner and much lower than the standardized Prussian style Tschako. So, if anyone has a proper nomenclature for this cap please let me know.

These distinctive Saxon Police caps are difficult to find today. They are shown in the 655 page book by Dr, jur. Max Weiss (and other contributing authors) titled "Die Polizeischule, Systematische Darfstellung und Erlauterung des deutschen Polizeirechts." Volume I published in 1920. This book was the bible for police training in Saxony and a couple of photos appear below.

Attachments

• Saxon LAPO cap.JPG
    Saxon LAPO cap.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Saxon LAPO cap side.JPG
    Saxon LAPO cap side.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Saxon LAPO cap back.JPG
    Saxon LAPO cap back.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 12
  • Saxon LAPO cap interior.JPG
    Saxon LAPO cap interior.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Saxon LAPO 1.jpg
    Saxon LAPO 1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Saxon Gendarm.JPG
    Saxon Gendarm.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 16
  • saxon family.jpg
    saxon family.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 16
Thank you for your thoughts. I tend to agree that it is most probably a hard kepi. The other Saxon Mounted Gendarmerie helmet is interesting as well. This police technique of grabbing the collar and seat of the pants was referred to as a "bum's rush" in US policing at the time. Attached is a LAPO uniform plate showing the various Polizei headgear worn during the time of the Weimar Republic. Notice the spike helmets still in wear and the oddly "squashed" flat leather Tschako worn by the Saxon Police at this point in time.

Attachments

• LAPO Uniforms.jpg
    LAPO Uniforms.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 13
Back