Saxon Reserve Field Arty Heleme

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I am restoring this helmet as we speak. Note the wappen with the black painted reservist cross. Tony has a similar one in his collection. This helmet has never been messed with. The paint job is perfect and obviously manufactured not just some guy with a brush. Brian
SaxonOfficer002.jpg

HI Brian,
Is it possible that this was something an officer who had been awarded the EK might do? Just a question with no basis, but the Germans seldom did anything on a whim.
Gus

That may be a possibility Gus but I have no clue. This helme lacks a rear spine so if anyone has a spare officer spine pre 1895 that would fit this higher domed shell please contact me. Brian

That is just a GORGEOUS helmet! Here is mine, it came from a family, I am the first collector to own it. So why the black cross?

You can see more pics here>> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh13.htm

dbh13.jpg

joerookery said:
What interests me about your helmet, Brian, is that it has a gilt wappen on a gilt star.

Joe, I believe that in most cases, these are standard silvered center Wappen that have lost the silver wash. I have owned Preußen, Sachsen, and Württemberg Wappen that were all stamped from brass and given a silver wash (mercury silvering? Not sure what it is called?). On these examples the obverse appeared to be brass as the silver was all gone, but on the reverse where the finish was protected, they were silver. I would bet that if one of these center Wappen were removed from the star backing I would not do this personally) you would find the Sachsen center Wappen on the reverse is still silver.

However, if you come up with a gilt star and center Wappen that is actually gilded........then I have no explanation what that is. :?: T

if you come up with a gilt star and center Wappen that is actually gilded
in most cases, these are standard silvered center Wappen that have lost the silver wash

Tony, I believe in most cases, you are absolutely right. In fact, I think it is plausible that Brian's is such an animal. The one in the Sanders book. I do not think so, but do not know.

if you come up with a gilt star and center Wappen that is actually gilded

The picture I posted, I believe is gilt. As you have said you can't tell unless you take it apart. It also goes back to the question of metallurgy. This is not a simple black-and-white gilt. And yes this one belongs to me. So I can actually handle it. It is an Awes-Mark helmet top of the line so not exactly cheap. The helmet is in good shape and I do not think it has been messed with. I thought for a while, perhaps Dr. I thought for a while may be Landsturm similar to the one in the Hilsenbeck book for Wurttemberg. I thought for a while may be some kind of flügeladjutant. Currently, I do not think any of them is correct. But I don't know. Like you said if -- if this is gilt. I have no idea.

Say....I just flipped through Das deutsche Heer and the color plate Tafel 147 shows a Sachsen Landwehr-Kavallerie officer with a gilt star, silver Landwehr cross and (yes!) a gilt center Wappen.

Hey Joe. It is from the three volume set by Knötel H. & Pietsch, P. & Collas, Baron D. (1935) Das deutsches heer W. Spemann, Stuttgart reprinted in 1982. I scanned plate 147 for you and here is the link. It is BIG, over 1 MB so please save it so you can print it on a color printer and get a great copy. These plates are very accurate, so please note the Sachsen Landwehr-Kavallerie officer which shows this color combo.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ddh/Tafel147.jpg

Hi Brian,

Pls post the 'after' pics, I would like to see the end result knowing what great job you did to my Saxon, by the way, are the kokarden intact?

Cheers,
BB

Bambang in answer to your question, the helme came with a Bavarian officer kokarde and the standard Reichs. The owner is going to have to look for the correct kokarden. The Bavarian had been painted green so someone knew the correct colour for Saxony. Brian

Back