Saxon reserve

911car

Just thought I should feed the section on Tschapkas, which has not been very active lately. Here is one in reasonably good condition, with the dark brown liner representative of war years. Note that on this reserve Tschapka the arms of Saxony are gold in colour, like the star, whereas the arms should be silver in an active regiment. This is perfectly correct; it was the rule, albeit sometimes transgressed. But this did not apply to reserve infantry regiments with yellow metal fittings, for which the arms remained silver in colour, like the reserve cross.

In 46 years of collecting
I am not sure that I have seen a Saxon Reserve officer's helmet
Very nice !
Thanks for the photos

Steve McFarland

two beautys besides eatchother
nice condition for the both
:thumb up: :thumb up: on those two

jonas

Very nice Bruno, a great post, thank you! One question, you mention the brown silk liner being indicative of a wartime liner.....how do know that this is characteristic of that period? I am going to post an article on officer liners soon and would appreciate some extra information.

b.loree said:
Very nice Bruno, a great post, thank you! One question, you mention the brown silk liner being indicative of a wartime liner.....how do know that this is characteristic of that period? I am going to post an article on officer liners soon and would appreciate some extra information.

Many thanks to all of you!
Brian, I cannot give you any written reference on this. It is more by experience, after seeing many... I also remember that Didier Laine, who mentored me a bit when I started the collection, stressed this fact.
Bruno

Bruno ;
I need to retract a statement that I posted on this topic
back on Feb. 7 , 2016
I stated that I had not seen a Saxon Uhlan reserve officer .
Well I found an old photo from my collection
pre 1992 , when collected helmets other than Prussian .
Not only had I seen one , but I for got that I had one in my collection .
Saxon Uhlan Regt 18 with what I call " The Russian Muster "
The parade rabatte
is built into the top of the helmet and it is can not be removed .
It also the gilt tressa around the top body of the helmet
with fangschnur material crossed on the top and around the base .
Laine showed Saxon U R 17
in his book in this form on page 165
while I no longer own this helmet , I thought a photo of it
is worth showing
Steve McFarland

Beautiful helmets to be sure...I've only owned one, a Prussian pre-war uhlan helmet back in the early 80's, but that's long gone!

Dennis

Note that on this reserve Tschapka the arms of Saxony are gold in colour, like the star, whereas the arms should be silver in an active regiment. This is perfectly correct; it was the rule, albeit sometimes transgressed. But this did not apply to reserve infantry regiments with yellow metal fittings, for which the arms remained silver in colour, like the reserve cross.

Okay folks – I have been trying to find some sort of documentation on the yellow centers with no luck. I have this Awes-Mark 101st Grenadier. I have seen several like this but no documentation or explanation. I think Glenn has the complete Saxon war minister publications but I can find nothing without some serious help.

SaxonOfficerfull.jpg

wappen.jpg

saxon%20landwehrruhl1902.jpg

Why no cross?

http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/SaxonOfficer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back