Scarce Artillery 'Haube

dave mosher

Here is an officer's kugelhelm which could either be worn by the 1st battery of FAR2 (II. AK) or the 6th battery of FAR3 (III. AK). The commemorative bandau was awarded for those units which had participated in the defence of Colberg under Gneisenau agaist Napoleon in 1807 (duh...).

Dave

Hmmm ... Interesting Dave, funny thing was I was just a few minutes ago looking at a simular helmet offered by an English dealer who said his was for the Prussian 2nd Foot Artillery, third battery. Mind you, he wants a large amount of ££££ for it.

Mike

Having not seen the dealer's helmet, he could be correct and I would presume the difference would the rounded chinscales for the field artillery units (shown) vs. flat chinscales for the foot artillery units.

Dave

Dave, unfortunatly the dealers photoes are not that good. I have sent for more. The Kugel is a lot taller than the one you show. Here is his discription.

"PRUSSIAN 2nd FOOT ARTILLERY REGIMENT ,3RD BATTERIE OFFICERS HELMET, GILDED FITTINGS... Extremely Rare very desireable Officers Vulcan fibre picklehaube with felt inner lining.. Gilded tall ball top with officers pearl ringFrosted gilt eagle plate with entwined FRW oval on its chest with 'COLBERG1807' scroll gilt peak rim. All nut and screw fittings. Lining in very good condition. Superb complete condition A very rare and helmet"

Beautiful helmet Dave. Here is my only officer's Arty Haube w/ Bandeau, Feldartill. - Regt. Von Schrnhorst (1. Hannoversches) Nr. 10. Yes, two officer items in the same day!

dbh21.jpg

Tony

What a great addition to a "Scarce Artillery 'Haube" thread!! Thanks for showing it. It would be nice to see some more "scarce" ball-tops...

Dave

This is like a rebus. Dave's helmet + Tony's helmet - officer trappings =

PICT0030.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

Chas.

Back