Scheinwerfer Btln haube

Carlson

Greetings: I'm newly registered on the Forum. I've been following your discussions and admiring your jaw-dropping helmets for a while, though.

I have a question and would appreciate your opinions. I've been offered a haube ID'd to a Scheinwerfer battalion. I'll try to post the picture here and hope for the best:

[/img]

Here's a shot of the inside:

What would be a fair price for this helmet for a collector-to-collector transaction?

Thanks for any opinions you can give. The helmet is in very good shape, just missing the cockards and chinstrap.

Thanks.

David

Hi David,
That is a nice M1915 Pickelhaube, but the Scheinwerfer markings make it special. I bought my M1915 for $19.50, but I doubt that will ever happen again as it was in 1968. I have not watched the prices on these recently, and they have risen consederably since I got mine. I am sure there will be answers soon.
Best wishes
Gus

Thanks for the comments, Gus.

I'm very interested in the helmet, but the seller and I are much more experienced in WWII helmets. I'm just learning the ropes with Hauben. So, any help anyone can give would be great.

Perhaps an open forum isn't a good place to discuss monetary value? I'm always open to a private message.

Thanks . . . and thanks for this outstanding forum. I'm learning a lot.

David

Hi FDavid,
The open forum is no problem, the problem I have is setting a price is on the M15 helmets, price is mostly dependant on how bad the buyer wants it. I have seen helmets like these sell for between $250 and $400, most of these helmets have reproduction Kockarden and chinstraps, so the lack of these components are not a big factor, size often playes in on M15s as there are a lot of re-enactors that want one they can wear (not a good idea for an original, but it is a factor in the price). The high end M15s have the original Kockarden and strap. (the chin straps can cost over $100). I hope this helps and I hope others will offer a little help, or at least tell me I am wrong (or right)
Best wihses
Gus

Joe:

Thanks! I've held the helmet in my hands . . . the outline of the helmet plate is firmly imprinted on the leather, no extra holes anywhere, the split pins (rivets?) seem to have been there forever. The leather liner is whole.

That said, I'll try to get more photos from my friend this evening to give everyone a better idea of what I'm looking at.

David

Let's see if this is better:

spikeinsideclose9zd.png
[/url][/img]

Hi David:
Gus has given you a ball park figure of $400 which to me is reasonable. The only thing that makes this special is a single ink stamp indicating, that it comes from a search light company.. Otherwise, it is just another Prussian M15 in good shape but missing kokarden and chin strap. You are looking at basically $75 US to buy repros of these missing parts. These are the most common helmets and the ones that most of us started with. So..... without the stamp, it is worth $400US. It is going to cost you $75 to complete it. You are primarily a WW2 collector. Then, how much is the "ink stamp" worth to you?? Answer that and you have your price. Brian

Thanks, Brian. That sounds like a great way to look at it.

Like almost anything in collecting, in the end you have to figure out how much something is worth to you, but understanding the market and the opinions and logic of other collectors is tremedously helpful.

David

Hi David,
In collecting things like this, it seems that you can not pay too much for anything, you can only buy it too early, the way things are going, it is possible for helmets like this one to top a grand in a few more years, it all depends on how many investors want to get into the militaria collecting field. Usually the top end stuff raises in price fery quick, the low end (most M15 helmets fall into this catagorie) raise slowly in price. When the investors get tired of the theme, or when they decied to "cash in" on their investments, there should be a strong drop in prices of the high end stuf, the low end will suffer a bit but will rebound quickly, while the high end stuff will stay down. I have seen this happen in three other collecting fields, and it is always great for the real collectors when it happens.
Best wishes
Gus

The same one, with exactly the same marking at the same place, sold on ebay a few months ago. You might be able to find out for how much. I myself cannot remember.
Bruno

This is my helmet

I typcially collect Third Reich era helmets but was really taken by this one on ebay last year. I believe this is the one you saw Bruno, I bought it for almost $600 I think. Maybe I did pay too much but sometimes you have to pay more for something you really like.

Also, this picture is for you 911car.

1135105599713_spike_911.jpg

You should not regret your $ 600 Ty! I had never seen this marking before and it is obviously authentic (I remember it took me some time to find out what it is). And I have the same 911! Mine is red to...
Bruno

Back