Schirmmütze M1917??

RON

Gentlemen, would a Prussian Schirmmütze with the following qualify as an 'M1917'?

> Black visor (as seen on the M1910 or older)
> Feldgrau centerband (replacing the branch of service color centerband for all branches, same as on the late war Einheits/Universal Model)
> the piping however remained red (unlike the Universal Model which had its piping turned to green for more camouflage)

In other words, this cap is basically identical to an M1910 with camouflage band, only the latter is fixed/permanent/part of the hat's centerband.

And if this visor would indeed qualify as an 'M1917', why didn't it come with a green visor from the previous design upgrade (M1915 Schirmmütze)?? :-k

Here you go Charles: http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is actually a Saxon Schirmmütze described by the seller as an 'M1917'...

It looks like a 1910 with a camo band sewn to the central band leaving the top red piping exposed. The camo band looks extremely close or exactly like the cap material. That makes me wonder if it was ordered as a seen in the photo. Its a nice SAXON NCO cap but hard to say without having in hand.

It's certainly not a Prussian style (which would include Saxons) universal Schirmmütze. Only a Bavarian cap would have the band in the same material as the rest of the cap. But a Bavarian example would not have red piping. It looks like it
could be a period piece, but is most likely some sort of private purchase hybrid.

What an M17 is, I'm sure I don't know.

Chip

Unfortunately, I don't have the hat with me yet. Once I do, I'll check and let you know...

Interesting I have a similar Schirmmütze with an old label "Jager Bl Nr14" (extra red piping aside)

Hello everyone. It's been a while I didn't post any new photos which doesn't mean I stopped collecting...

SaxonEMSchirmmuumltzeVisorCapM1917f_zpsa537b890.jpg

Caps-SaxonEMSchirmmuumltzeVisorCapM1917a_zpsdac238d8.jpg

Caps-SaxonEMSchirmmuumltzeVisorCapM1917b_zps90bea277.jpg

SaxonEMSchirmmuumltzeVisorCapM1917h_zps6e5797c4.jpg

SaxonEMSchirmmuumltzeVisorCapM1917l_zps7250a1b3.jpg

SaxonEMSchirmmuumltzeVisorCapM1917n_zps49c6523c.jpg

SaxonEMSchirmmuumltzeVisorCapM1917m_zpscd045980.jpg

Not necessarily... Imagine a green camo band sewn on the middle (red) (infantry) band only in this case the "green camo band" has nothing underneath and is an integral part of the hat...
There were lots of variants past the M1910 I presume and this was one of them.
Definitely authentic (and from a trustworthy source) including the paint on the cockades which doesn't glow under UV and neither does the US Vet's label inside...

Speaking of the Vet's label; it would be cool to trace him back if anyone here has access to such records.

He either mailed it to himself or to his father maybe:

"J. L. Rohan" of Oakland

If anyone can find anything about him, please let me know...

I am just going assume "Oakland" is the city he was in when the tag was created. There happens to be a 2345 Waverly St. in Oakland with an old home thats been subdivided into crummy office space. Maybe thats where your hat once was... fun to speculate.

During the first half of the 20th century Oakland was an affluent community, some of it is still very nice but those pockets are surrounded by some of the worst ghettos in N. California. I digress...

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8124595,-122.2629124,3a,90y,281.83h,72.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sIOX-osgFa4a417ROwbKtgQ!2e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917k.JPG

Attachments

• Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917i.JPG
    Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917i.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 3
  • Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917l.JPG
    Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917l.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917m.JPG
    Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917m.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 3
  • Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917n.JPG
    Saxon EM Schirmmütze (Visor Cap) M1917n.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 1
Hello fellow collectors. I'm trying to revive this post as I'm still baffled by this cap after at least a decade of owning it... I bought from a reputable militaria dealer in Canada (Collector's Guild) and it came with a written lifetime warranty. It was described as an "M1917" Saxon EM/NCO Schirmmütze although it doesn't totally match the 'Einheits' specs. It also has a US vet bring back address label on the inside. Any thoughts?

I know nothing about these caps Ron but great to have you back with us! 👍 I have bought from CG a couple of times, always good items and no problems.

Reactions: RON
Hello Brian, hope all is well. It’s been a while but the haube virus is still with me!

Back