Schirmmütze M1917??

Hi Tony! Hope all is well. You’re the reason why i joined this forum in the first place and started collecting WW1 German headgear.

When i saw you replied here, i was hoping you could give me some sort of indication as to whether this cap is legit WW1 or not. In the case of the latter, I’d be contemplating using that lifetime warranty and returning the item to CG.

This cap is gonna haunt me for another decade it seems... on a Facebook group, some speculated it could be some 1920s Veteran's association cap, others went for the typical "fake" without really knowing why... and yet again, this came from a very trustworthy dealer (Collector's Guild) with a lifetime warranty describing it as a "SAXON EM/NCO M1917 Schirmmütze". It was even part of the CG owner's own collection (Peter Whamond used to be a member here I think).
I'm really hoping that this is indeed some sort of private purchase hybrid period piece as Charles (Chip) once wrote but how come there's no other that has surfaced anywhere yet?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Chip has passed and is no longer with us but he was renowned for his exceptional knowledge of Imperial German militaria. Consequently, I would accept his analysis if it were mine. The other thing that I have learned after 40 years of collecting the pieces from this era….there are always weird exceptions to the “regulations “.

I don’t think it’s a fake. It’s either a private purchase cap made during or after the war. I’m not sure how we can determine which. I’ve seen many caps with field grey bands sewn over the central band and caps when the central band being made of field grey material. Some with colored piping, others with grey piping, and at least a few like yours.
I haven’t gone back to look at my resources but M1917 Einheits Feldmütze seems correct for a grey or grey/green banded field cap.

Reactions: RON
Unfortunately, Chip has passed and is no longer with us but he was renowned for his exceptional knowledge of Imperial German militaria. Consequently, I would accept his analysis if it were mine. The other thing that I have learned after 40 years of collecting the pieces from this era….there are always weird exceptions to the “regulations “.
Sad to hear about Chip, and before him Karel…

Back