Schirmmützen – Dragoner

Jeff R

(Inspired in part by Bruno's magnificent Dragoner helmet grouping post).

Württemberg/Baden/Prussian officer caps for (L-R) Dragoner-Regt. König (2. Württembergisches) Nr.26, 3. Badisches Dragoner-Regt. Prinz Karl Nr.22, and 1./2. Garde-Dragoner-Regt. (or Dragoner-Regt. 1, 5 or 13).

Interestingly, the silk linings of both the Württemberg and Prussian caps bear "G" monograms under a baron's seven-pointed Freiherrnkrone.

Dragoons.jpgDR22-1 Cypher.jpgGDR 1_2 DR 1_5_13 Offz Cypher.jpg

The letter under the crown was usually the first letter of the first name (see "W" for Kaiser Wilhelm or "F" for Kaiser Friedrich). And those that begin with the letter "G" were/are not uncommon in Germany.

Nice. Love the colors!
Me too! One of the reasons I enjoy the cloth headgear is the color - the Mützen are each like a little condensed version of the full uniform color scheme, and the Imperial German was an elegant, colorful organization. (Plus the German dye chemists of the era were without equal, IMO).

(Inspired in part by Bruno's magnificent Dragoner helmet grouping post).

Württemberg/Baden/Prussian officer caps for (L-R) Dragoner-Regt. König (2. Württembergisches) Nr.26, 3. Badisches Dragoner-Regt. Prinz Karl Nr.22, and 1./2. Garde-Dragoner-Regt. (or Dragoner-Regt. 1, 5 or 13).

Interestingly, the silk linings of both the Württemberg and Prussian caps bear "G" monograms under a baron's seven-pointed Freiherrnkrone.

View attachment 28755View attachment 28756View attachment 28759
You rate a 10 on those hats
Outstanding !
Steve

Thanks for the kind words gents. 🙂

(And I agree fully re: condition Tony - it makes this area extra tricky, as "restoration" is rarely an option with these fragile pieces. Once the moths (or the sun) find them...game over.)

Back