Schirmmützen – Pre-1897 Kavallerie

Jeff R

The Reichskokarde in the national colors of black-white-red was introduced in 1897 for both helmets and caps. On cloth headgear, it was worn above the state kokarde already in use. These two examples never had a second kokarde and pre-date the introduction of the Reichskokarde.

An absolutely beautiful officer of Magdeburgisches Husaren-Regt. Nr.10, with a green body, yellow piping, and the distinctive deep-pink band of this regiment – one of my favorite color combinations from the old army. And a great example of how well preserved this stuff can be if kept safe from moths and light – this thing probably rode out the last century and a quarter in a hat box stored in a moth-free environment. (And if anyone can make out the name of the officer penned inside the cap, I’d be grateful!)

HR10 1.jpg
HR10 2.jpg

An officer of Dragoner Regiment 3, 7, or 15 with an especially interesting interior. Deep cornflower blue body with pink band and piping, and a two-piece Prussian cockade. Incorporated into the maker’s mark of Richard Tischmeyer of Hettstedt is a small photograph of the newly-minted Kaiser Wilhelm II (probably around 1888).

DR3-7-15 1.jpg
DR3-7-15 2.jpg

The Reichskokarde in the national colors of black-white-red was introduced in 1897 for both helmets and caps. On cloth headgear, it was worn above the state kokarde already in use. These two examples never had a second kokarde and pre-date the introduction of the Reichskokarde.

An absolutely beautiful officer of Magdeburgisches Husaren-Regt. Nr.10, with a green body, yellow piping, and the distinctive deep-pink band of this regiment – one of my favorite color combinations from the old army. And a great example of how well preserved this stuff can be if kept safe from moths and light – this thing probably rode out the last century and a quarter in a hat box stored in a moth-free environment. (And if anyone can make out the name of the officer penned inside the cap, I’d be grateful!)

View attachment 33967
View attachment 33968

An officer of Dragoner Regiment 3, 7, or 15 with an especially interesting interior. Deep cornflower blue body with pink band and piping, and a two-piece Prussian cockade. Incorporated into the maker’s mark of Richard Tischmeyer of Hettstedt is a small photograph of the newly-minted Kaiser Wilhelm II (probably around 1888).

View attachment 33969
View attachment 33970
I like the hat with the Kaiser insert inside
Steve

Back