Schutztruppe Deutsch-Südwest Afrika - Sanitäts - Feldwebel

Wyliecoyote

I would like to share this CDV I recently acquired of a Schutztruppe made at the studio of R. Schubert in Berlin W.Potsdamerstr. 3. In gold embosed letters: Auf Wiedersehn! The marker at left says Veste Windhoek, indicating he was destined for Deutsch-Südwest Afrika, (Present day Namibia) the capital of which is Windhoek. He is identified at the reverse as a Feldwebel, and he is armed in his right hand with a Gewehr 88 and Seitengewehr 71. In his left hand he holds the hilt of his M1889 NCO sword with Portapee. On his head he wears the Schutztruppe Südwester hat made of grey felt, with blue hatband and edging for South West Africa troops, pinned up on the right hand side by the single large Reichs cockade, which is not visible in this photo. He wears the 1896 Sandfarben Kord Waffenrock (corduroy uniform), with NCO lace on his blue collar and Swedish cuffs. Down the blue piped front of the tunic are eight white metal buttons bearing the Imperial Crown. The shoulder boards are not the twisted mohair cord in black/white/red, or at least it appears that way. He also wears the Schutztruppe leather Mounted Equipment and Ammunition Pouches, consisting of 12 single pouches, one each on the shoulder straps and 10 attached to the belt. On his boots he wears the spurs of a mounted soldier.

On the reverse:
Schutztruppe Deutsch-Südwest Afrika - Sanitäts - Feldwebel

9379931915_fe75922b37_b.jpg

Can anybody identify those two decorations?

These are not the usual shoulder straps of twisted mohair cord in black/white/red, no?

9384971234_dfec987af2_b.jpg

When I was a kid I had a German fort as play ground!
I never found anything regarding thise fort on internet, only recently managed to find recent pic's of the fort in it's actual condition.
In my time (late 60'ties) it was abandonned.
I'll have to ask my parents if they still have pic's of it!
Any other info regarding the Fort of Kitega in Burundi (or other in that area!) is always appreciated!

Wyliecoyote said:
Can anybody identify those two decorations?

These are not the usual shoulder straps of twisted mohair cord in black/white/red, no?

Hello,

is there also a name on the backside?

He´s wearing the following decorations:

saxon military long service medal
China-medal (1900-1901)

So, he was a saxon Sanitäts-Feldwebel

Best wishes

Karsten

No, I am sorry to say that there is no name at all attached to this photo.

Thank you so much for identifying the decorations!

I have to go back and check, but I believe that on the Colonial German Uniforms website has many ribbon bars with mixed Saxon Armee & Deutsch-Südwest Afrika awards. Very interesting.

Sorry for my late addition here.... great, great photo! And nice work Karsten on the medals!

I think the Sanitaets Unteroffizier, I think had these colours- Blue Facing, Red Piping, Yellow Lace-
arm%20sanitats%20unteroffcier.jpg

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers
Chris

Great thanks!

In addition to yesterday, the blue is described as Dunkel Blau and the Sudwester hatband would also have been dark blue... I really need to write a page on colonial officials soon!

Cheers
Chris

Back