Scroll helmet

mpb

Hello,
Enclosed is a photo of a scroll helmet. I have read the article by Colonel J wherein he describes GMGA 211 - 250 and 260 - 265. So i'm not sure what to make of this one with number 340 on it. Thanks

That one has some real possibilities. You would have to do some research and I do not think it is a GMGA artifact but could will be from a pioneer unit. Where is this? Can you get more pictures and especially of how is attached? I think this spike is an add-on which actually adds to the possibility of this being real. The patina is real different.
Do you own it?

Welcome to the forum – there is no other place that I'm aware of that discusses these k helmets in depth. I

Thank you for your reply,

Though i am indeed the fortunate owner of the helmet ( or unfortunate as the case may be) the helmet is not in my possession yet. It's being shipped from Germany as we speak, so i can't provide additional photos of it until it arrives. The only other info i can provide is that it was ( erroneously) described as a gebirgs maschinen gewehr helmet and that there is a stamp on the underside ( VI 1918).

I appreciate the warm welcome and must confess I know very little of Pioneer units ( if thats what it turns out to be) let alne pickelhaubes, My interest is primarily in colonial headgear, as well as headgear of units stationed in the Mediterranean, Adriatic ( ie Balkans), and the Orient. This helmet captured my interest given the possibility that it resembled a scroll helmet and so may have traveled to one or more of the aforementioned. So any info on it, should it prove to be authentic, would be greatly appreciated. I particularly like that it is understated, but have no idea of its value or if such otherwise obscure helmets are of any interest to collectors.

It certainly is of interest however, these helmets in general have a very bad reputation because of some British fakes. I look forward to seeing the additional pictures. The marking seems odd.

V/R
Joe

Back