Seeking ID for Mystery American Pickelhaubes

Maple Creek

I just purchased this pair of pickelhaubes as part of an auction lot. They look like Model 1881 American helmets, but a strange device on the front (or is it the back?). It occured to me that they might be foreign, i.e. not US. Or maybe even theatrical pieces. Any ideas? This is out of my area of expertises. :-k

I think Joe's got the one on the right side pegged: Odd Fellows fraternal group. The 3-rings are central to the Odd Fellows insignia.

All the Best,

Alan

Hi Joe, Thanks. I think you might have nailed it. Another possibility would be militia of some sort, but I think you're probably on the right track. For one thing, it's an odd helmet for the Odd Fellows, no? The side button looks like a mule. Looks like somebody was having fun with this concept. :wink:

Cheers,

Mark

joerookery said:
Might be for a fraternal group--Odd Fellows?...

Those are Odd Fellow helmets. I did some research on these. There is a rank system in the group and this pattern helmet is either lower in the ranking or higher than the one with the visor. But these the correct type of pattern for Odd Fellow helmets.

Thanks Peter. This was an interesting group to learn about. At one time in the late 19th and early 20th centuries the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was the largest fraternal order in the United States - larger than the more well known Freemasons. During the Civil War the Patriarch Militant was formed as a uniformed branch of the order. This was a quasi-military organization that had ceremonial rather than practical military functions. For example, they preformed annual ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I imagine that these hats belonged to members of this branch.

In 1902 the US Army changed the military uniform code eliminating the 1881 pattern helmets. Unfortunately, they did this after placing contract orders for these helmets. The result was that Horstmann possibly other contractors were left with a lot of surplus helmets and helmet parts that filtered out into the hands of the public including the Odd Fellows.

While interesting, these helmets have close to zero market value. I sold these two helmets plus one other that came with them for a grand total of $21.99 + postage! I would have done better selling the parts, but I hate to pull things apart.

Mark D.

Peter_Suciu said:
Those are Odd Fellow helmets. I did some research on these. There is a rank system in the group and this pattern helmet is either lower in the ranking or higher than the one with the visor. But these the correct type of pattern for Odd Fellow helmets.

Maple Creek said:
In 1902 the US Army changed the military uniform code eliminating the 1881 pattern helmets. Unfortunately, they did this after placing contract orders for these helmets. The result was that Horstmann possibly other contractors were left with a lot of surplus helmets and helmet parts that filtered out into the hands of the public including the Odd Fellows.
Mark--
I don't agree that the military contractor helmets were used by the fraternial groups. I wrote an article for my MilitarySunHelmets.com site about it:
http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/2012/lodge-hats-army-surplus-and-the-bannerman-catalog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the problem with this line of thinking... the Odd Fellows (as well as other group's) have helmets that don't in any way appear to be military. The shells are covered in calico drill cloth, not the canvas that is used on the military helmets. The bodies aren't typically cork but other materials including a fiberboard material. And the liners and linings are completely different. So I don't think most of the Odd Fellows' helmets were military that wasn't utilized.

That said I think that Bannerman did sell the parts, including teh spikes, spike bases, chinchains and those accourtments were used. Likewise, I think Bannerman bought up the helmets and they were in storage.

I first bought sun helmets when I was 12 years old - so 1980. I found several Odd Fellow helmets I thought at the time were military. Boy was I disappointed later. But since that time I've done a lot of research on these. What I find more interesting is that 30 years ago it was impossible to find an American white summer helmet.

Then 10 years ago they started showing up. Someone clearly found a cache of these. Now these are quite common, even if the ones in good shape are harder to find!

Back