She was a teenager during First World War

911car

Sister Andre just turned 116, making her the oldest person in France, the oldest person in Europe, and second oldest (documented) person worldwide. Perfect elocution and a sense of humor. When asked about the strongest memories of her life, she mentions the two world wars she went through, and the fond memory of her two brothers when they returned home safely at the end of WW1...
Amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDt1u52U5U0

It is amazing.
I remember speaking to someone who knew and spoke to a old soldier of Napoleon's army....but that was in the early '70 ties...
Gosh I am getting old...!

I remember the passing of the last three American Civil War vets and seeing the last parade of the Spanish American War vets.In 1967 (while I was in the service) I came across a Sgt. Maj. wearing a WWI dough boy uniform. When I enquire what was going on with this, I was informed that he was retiring that day after 50 years of service. Regulations permits the retiree to wear any uniform that was regulation during his time in service. I was lucky to know many WWI vets and got a load of information from them.

Yes, time marches on. My Scottish grandfather fought in WW1 with the Highland Light Infantry. Unfortunately, I only met him once in my life aged 10 years. I was not into militaria collecting then.

Back