Shooting Prize 1908

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have had this for several years. I bought this at a local antique store. Each year there were contests held and the winners were awarded these sleeve badges. Each bears the date for the year that it was awarded. There are also Artillery versions of this with crossed cannons. The backing cloth and tin plate were made for me by Tony. If any other members have these, please post some pics. Brian

Collectionroompics012.jpg
Collectionroompics014.jpg

Brian: Here are some examples of Kaiser and Kings Prizes

Prussian and Bavarian Infantry

infantry0qd.jpg

Prussian and Bavarian Artillery

artillery1is.jpg

Prussuan Jaeger - There is debate if the 1914 prize was actually awarded as the annual competition would have been held after the start of the war.

jaeger8xb.jpg

Prussian Machinegun

machinegun2yc.jpg

Brian: This is a Kaiser schnur. Wen a cmpany from a regiment for which William II was the honorary chief won the shooting competition the officers and men were awarded this schnur in addition to the Kaiser prize. The image is an enlisted Kaiser Schnur that was worn on the right side of the uniuform. the officer Kaiser Schnur was worn on the left side of the uniform.

kaisers0wi.jpg

Officers who won the officer shooting competioin were awarded shooting prize swords. Prussian ones were Model 89 Infantry Officer swords with Damascus blades and special engraving with the recipeints name. Bavarian shooting prize swords were quite different. The sword is a lion head sword engraved Kings Prize and dated for the year of the award. The blade is Damascus with the Bavarian state moto in blue and gold ribbons. The information concerning the winner of the sword was engraved on the obverse and reverse of the scabbard. The following image is a Bavarian shooting prize sword.

sword1nx.jpg

Brian,

here are the Infantry and Artillery winners of the 1908 Kaiserpreis as published in the Armee-Verordnungs-Blatt Nr 20 on the 26th of August 1908. No such corresponding order exists for 1914 so I think we can assume the 1914 prizes were never issued.

Regards
Glenn

kp08.jpg

kp08_2.jpg

R1, I am amazed....what a beautiful collection. I had hoped that there was some one out there who had the real pieces to illustrate this thread. I had absolutely no clue that officer swords or special schnur were given as prizes. I was like a fisherman casting his line. I had only one poor example to show as bait. Thank you for contributing, are the Jaeger pieces dated?
Glenn, once again you have provided some excelent documentation for the Kaiserpreis. I wish that they had put the winners' name inscribed on the back of these shooting prizes so that we could positively identify the awards! Your contribution is much appreciated. I wonder if the Kaiser actually was present for these shooting contests? My first feeling would be yes. Gentlemen, I have learned much! Danke, Brian

Brian: Shooting related awards are a very interesting collectng area. In addition to the Kaiser/Kings prizes there are many other awards including medals for the best shot, pocket watches and beer steins. The illustrated Jaeger Kaiser prizes are dated 1897, 1901 and 1914. In 1897 the Jaeger Kaiser prize was won by the 3rd company of Jaeger Bn. 11. In 1901 the prize was won by the 1st company of Jaeger Bn 12.

Kaiser/Kings prizes were awarded to the company with the best marksmanship score during the annual Kaiser/Kings maneuvers. As a result everyone in the winning company received the prize. It was not uncommon for a particular company to win the prize in different years. In those instances the prize would show the dates for each year won.

This is awesome stuff guy's, love the sword!!!

Here is a Beaker or small pewter cup that I have that was a 3rd place prize for a shooting match 16-5-99. It is engraved around the top.

beaker1.jpg

beaker2.jpg

beaker3.jpg

James

James: Very nice beaker. This would have been a prize for a competition within a particular unit. Is there a regiment identified in the engraving.

Thanks for the comment on the sword. It is the only Bavarian shooting prize sword I have ever seen. Over the past 2 years I have been able to reconstruct most of the original owner's service record.

Reservist1

reservist1 said:
Over the past 2 years I have been able to reconstruct most of the original owner's service record.

Which is very interesting; I had the pleasure of reading it. I have the list of Kaiserliche-Marine ships that won the Kaiserpreis if anyone needs it. Same competition, BIGGER bullets!

Back