Shoulder board confusion

joerookery

Okay uniform smart people -- this one has me a little confused -- it's probably something very simple. A Bavarian soldier from Neu-Ulm. His unit information on the back seems pretty obliterated but the city name is clear. Looking at the filtered picture the 12th Regiment of Bavarian infantry seem simple. But why does his shoulder boards say three?
3shoulder.jpg

3shoulder_2.jpg

Hey Joe:
Which works for Neu-Ulm Regt 3 or 12?? Perhaps this guy just scammed an uberzug from someone or maybe he was in the 3rd and got transfered to the 12th? Brian

Could this guy be an Ersatz man? Or is the urzburg from the photograher? as they loaned the Soldats pieces of kit .
Mark

My guess is that he was a reservist in the 3.b.R.I.R. (hense no cypher of the line regiment). When he was called up (I'm thinking mid-1915 due to the simplified cuff) he was sent to the 12.b.I.R. as his new field assignment. I do not know where the 3.b.R.I.R. was housed when on duty, but I would guess it was Neu-Ulm. If not, it was still somewhere in the same corps district.

Chip

The 3.b.R.I.R and the 12.b.R.I.R were both in the 1.bayr. R. Division early in the war
Gus

What is the difference between Bavarian M16 bluse shoulderboards and the Prussian equivalents; ie, What is the differnece between the shoulderboard worn on the M16 bluse by Kgl. Bayer. 23. Infanterie-Regt. and that worn by Infanterie-Regt. von Winterfeldt (2.Ober-schlesisches) Nr.23?

flasheart said:
What is the difference between Bavarian M16 bluse shoulderboards and the Prussian equivalents; ie, What is the differnece between the shoulderboard worn on the M16 bluse by Kgl. Bayer. 23. Infanterie-Regt. and that worn by Infanterie-Regt. von Winterfeldt (2.Ober-schlesisches) Nr.23?

On Bluse straps, as a rule-of-thumb, if the bottom is sewn, so it could be sewn on top of the shoulder seam, it is Preußen and other Kingdoms etc in the numbered Divisions. If an M15 straps has a raw edge (like a Dunkelblau strap), then it is Bayern as they sewed their straps into the shoulder seams.

Back