So, You Wanna Collect Imperial Flight Badges?

Lost Skeleton

It can be a costly undertaking.

Before posting pictures of the Prussian observer qualification badge (Beobachterabzeichen) I purchased at the MAX, I think it would be worthwhile to examine a badge I purchased from a high profile Internet dealer a few years ago.

The obverse looks pretty good: frosty with polished highlights, lots of detail in the wreath (every leafy cell and vein of each laurel and oak is crisp), and nice red orange in the enamel work (it's even chipped; therefore, it's not plastic).

PICT0291.jpg

Let's take a closer look at that Kaiserkrone. Yup, it certainly looks okay:

PICT0275.jpg

Now for a view of the reverse. Uh-oh, something is amiss.

PICT0278.jpg

Through the miracle of macro photography, a revealing close-up:

PICT0276.jpg

The hard lesson learned by me is this badge is a phony. Surprised? I sure was.

What has come to be accepted regarding Juncker marked badges is that the large crown hallmark is completely incorrect. It is correct for a smaller crown, crescent moon, and 800 or higher proof to appear on select Iron Crosses and commercial silver service, but this combination never appeared on any legitimate army Luft badge. I don't know exactly when this wisdom came to light. Suffice it to say, I was behind the curve.

However, there are other damning features to be considered. The hinge well is very shallow, the silver has a very mottled appearance (often attributed to corrosive gases weeping through a vent when soldered), and extremely sloppy holes through which the enameled Armee Korps symbol is affixed.

Now for the real deal! This is an apples to apples comparison, Junk to Juncker.

PICT0250.jpg

Again, the Kaiserkrone. Here we see a voided crown with the inside of the hinge well visible.

PICT0251.jpg

The reverse. Note the deep hinge well. No mottling anywhere:

PICT0253.jpg

Finally, the hallmark. Note, the crescent moon is solid and not merely outlined. The slots and holes for the army corps badge are regular and evenly spaced.

PICT0252.jpg

In conclusion, the second Beobachterabzeichen satisfies every characteristic of a true wartime Juncker badge. Perhaps, Tony will add to this article with pictures of his Juncker. I have heard every argument postulating badge number one to be of postwar, or Third Reich manufacture. However, if both badges are Junckers, why reinvent the wheel? Why change the the proportions and details? Did the old dies wear out? Where they destroyed after 1918?

The most logical explanation is these nonconformist badges are relatively modern copies (they certainly outnumber the authentic pieces).

I hope this little essay will prevent someone else from making a similarly expensive and discouraging mistake.

Chas.

Chas: Very, very, good essay. Anybody contemplating the purchase of any Prussian flight badge needs to read this and file it away for future reference.

Your "good" Juncker observer badge is exceptionally nice.

R1

Thank you R1. I know the equivalent of a book has been written about this at Wehrmacht Awards. My small effort can't compete with the accumulated expertise elsewhere, but a picture is worth a thousand words, and those few JPEGs above make for a succinct exposition.

One final note, when comparing the Juncker hallmark, the 'J' of the copy badge displays a horizontal serif. The original badge has none. Furthermore, the 'B' in Berlin is centered beneath the 'JU.' On the genuine Juncker, 'B' is centered beneath the 'E.' However, on both badges, the 'N' in Berlin is positioned beneath the 'K.'

Chas.

hallmark.jpg

Lost Skeleton said:
One final note, when comparing the Juncker hallmark, the 'J' of the copy badge displays a horizontal serif. The original badge has none. Furthermore, the 'B' in Berlin is centered beneath the 'JU.' On the genuine Juncker, 'B' is centered beneath the 'E.' However, on both badges, the 'N' in Berlin is positioned beneath the 'K.'

Chas.

hallmark.jpg

Chas, I can only concure with you about being SOOOOOOOoo careful with Imperial Aviation Badges. Anything with a crown & half moon is, in my and many others opinions, a bad one. The "J" is also a good indication as you say.

If a genuine Junckers, then there are several other identifying traits. For instance the back of the cross on the top of the badge should be solid and not cut out as you show in this badge.

I am far from being any expert on these ... but I will always trust the opinion of "Stogieman" for the last 5 years he has guided me through the maze of fake and wanabe badges that have been posted on Ebay and also in private sales.

My advice is never buy without first asking many questions and going to the people that have put many years experience into these items.

Just my thoughts :)

Cheers, Mike

Chas,
I just returned from a local gun show where a dealer had a nice display of Imperial filght badges. Thanks to your discussion I was able to determine that they were all fake. I'm not even sure that the dealer realized that they were bad. Thanks for the lesson. Bill

Hi Bill:

I'm glad you were spared a costly education. One of the saddest sights I ever witnessed was an elderly gent being pushed around in a wheelchair at the 2005 MAX with a case full of Imperial flight badges on his lap. He was so proud of them and willing to show the badges to anyone, boasting how badge 'X' commemorated a 1920s Zeppelin flight from Germany to Tokyo, etc.

Unfortunately, every single one of them was a fake. Who knows how much the poor guy spent on a trove of trash.

Chas.

Chas,

I have noticied an additional detail in your excellant comparison. Is it me or do the 2 chickens on crown face left and right on the "fake" while both chickens face right on the "Correct" version?

Please do tell!

Thanks again!

John

Lost Skeleton said:
He was so proud of them and willing to show the badges to anyone, boasting how badge 'X' commemorated a 1920s Zeppelin flight from Germany to Tokyo, etc.
The twin of the dud mentioned above just appeared in Mr. Greenfield's update. Be sure to read the description; it's a masterpeice of balderdash.

http://www.derrittmeister.com/productpages/21135.htm

Hi John:

The report on the eagles is they all face left (but I had to view them under 10x magnification to be certain).

Chas.

Back