Some expert eyes please

A.Anthony

Hi all, after being disappointed on a previous helmet, I was given the advice that I should check in here first. Thanks for being helpful. Just a very standard looking helmet this one, have these pictures but is there more things I need to ask for? Any red flags that immediately show? Much appreciated, Anthony 5851359C-3093-4DF5-8AA7-7BA63984CA08.jpeg
BFADE0D1-B64C-464D-A932-46163AD6FF48.jpeg
BAE8ECE5-2862-41F3-9A9D-FB5DD28E68CD.jpeg
8E711F31-8049-4FFF-81E9-B8B7E8E1C2CC.jpeg344DABFA-DE6A-4DDB-BDA5-D963552FB397.jpeg

8D3E621B-479C-4512-A82F-26521CD120EC.jpeg

Just a very standard looking helmet this one, Anthony View attachment 27001
No, it is not so standard ! It looks like the rare M15 variant with brass metal fittings (the vast majority came with gray steel fittings). However (and this is my impression), it may also be a regular M15 that has been painted in gold colour by a not so well-inspired amateur. If this is the case, stay away, it is worthless. Ask for a picture of the reverse side of the eagle plate; you will know immediately...

On my computer monitor the eagle definitely looks to be gray color regular M15 wartime Prussian wappen. I believe that the spike and spike base and split brads for the spike base are also gray metal, as is the rear back spine. The indoor incandescent lighting seems to cast a "yellow sort of glow or look" upon these mentioned fittings.

Is it possible to ask the seller to use a flash with their camera and re-shoot photos of this helmet?

Look at the inside of the M15 spike base knob from the interior close up of the inside of the helmet. It is gray color metal. The split brads are also steel.

I cannot tell for certain if the front visor trim and the 2-domed split brads at the end of the trim are brass, or if they are also wartime steel. There is such a "yellow" tint to the photos because no flash was used with the camera, and because old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs are being used nearby.

It is also possible that someone painted some of the fittings a gold color, such as the front visor trim piece.

Ask for some better photos, and ask them to use a flash with their camera when taking the photos.

Best Wishes,

Alan

On my computer monitor the eagle definitely looks to be gray color regular M15 wartime Prussian wappen. I believe that the spike and spike base and split brads for the spike base are also gray metal, as is the rear back spine. The indoor incandescent lighting seems to cast a "yellow sort of glow or look" upon these mentioned fittings.

Is it possible to ask the seller to use a flash with their camera and re-shoot photos of this helmet?

Look at the inside of the M15 spike base knob from the interior close up of the inside of the helmet. It is gray color metal. The split brads are also steel.

I cannot tell for certain if the front visor trim and the 2-domed split brads at the end of the trim are brass, or if they are also wartime steel. There is such a "yellow" tint to the photos because no flash was used with the camera, and because old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs are being used nearby.

It is also possible that someone painted some of the fittings a gold color, such as the front visor trim piece.

Ask for some better photos, and ask them to use a flash with their camera when taking the photos.

Best Wishes,

Alan
Alan,
On my screen, all fittings look definitively golden in colour.... except for the M91 posts. Inside, spike basis retaining brads, as well as the inside aspect of the spike basis are clearly pewter gray, as you wrote. Therefore, we have controls.
I have never seen such a false colour on a M15. He should also ask for a picture with the spike removed.
Cheers,

The emailed pictures definitely look brass, I screenshoted them and then posted here, maybe they have become distorted in the process. Still waiting to hear from the seller again.

The interior photos confirm grey M15 fittings…..spike base brads and spike. The outside shots which give a brass cast to the fittings are weird. This could be a lighting effect or things could have been gold painted in the past.

After waiting for a response, the seller now informed me that someone else is ahead of me in line. If he pulls out, I’ll get a chance at it. Only then will I find out if it’s grey or brass metal. So much appreciate the responses. Regards Anthony

After waiting for a response, the seller now informed me that someone else is ahead of me in line. If he pulls out, I’ll get a chance at it. Only then will I find out if it’s grey or brass metal. So much appreciate the responses. Regards Anthony
He cannot answer such a simple question?? You must buy the thing to find out what it is?... You should forget about it. M15s for sale are plentiful.
Let's be clear though: this cannot be brass metal. Look at pictures of the interior. It's a regular M15 with gray steel metal fittings which, in my opinion, were painted gold.

Yes the M15 Prussian helmet is the most common and generally the first piece bought in a collection. There are thousands of them out there. So as said above, no worries you will find one that has not been messed with.

Model 15 in gray steel, repainted with "Bronzine". The cap is in black sheepskin, and not fawn so it is an ex-M95 recycled M15. Moreover the "patches" show a double drilling to adapt the eagle. Although perfectly repainted, and looking old, this Bronzine is inconsistent to my knowledge.

Back