Some more bluecloths

chinstrap

It's been a couple of years since I posted some of my British helmets but as people seem to like bluecloths, judging by Peter's post, I'm adding a few more officers' examples. The proper name for this type of helmet is the Home Service helmet. All the ones shown are Victorian. I'm always keen to buy good examples! Also added a heavy cavalry helmet at the end

1. Cheshire Regiment helmet-belonged to Edward Graham , who later became colonel of the regiment and a major general. Came with named tin.

2 King's Shropshire Light Infantry. actually a ' green-cloth' as used by rifle regiments but difficult to capture the dark green colour

3 64th (2nd South Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot

The numerals were only worn on home service helmets for three years before re-organisation and the introduction of territorial titles for regiments. The helmet is named inside to Captain Dugmore 64th Regt, and came with a named tin to this officer. If anybody has the time to google Captain Dugmore 64th Foot , you'll find that he doesn't appear to have been much of an officer and a gentleman!

4. 7th Lancashire Artillery Volunteers

5 Royal London Militia

6.2nd Volunteer Battalion Norfolk Regiment. Name 'Arnold' inside -not researched yet

7 Obviously not a bluecloth! Lothians and Berwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry. This unit existed from 1888-1902. Unfortunately there's a bit missing from the top of the thistle wreath on left as facing. I've also seen this on other examples. Bought it anyway as they're as rare as hens' teeth!

Patrick

Back