Something entirely different

Brian von Etzel

I've been told this is an Imperial Court Page uniform on my great Uncle Artur von Klingspor.

artur18967.jpg

Confirmation would make me very pleased!

Born 6 May 1878 Königsberg, evangelical faith. Mother: maiden name Kuckein.

Entered 6.Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 68 at Coblenz as a Sekonde-Lieutnant on the 13th of March 1897.
Attached to Feldartillerie-Regiment von Holtzendorff (1. Rheinisches) Nr. 8 from 24 May 1898 to 13 Sep 1899.
Transferred to Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz-Regent Luitpold von Bayern (Magdeburgisches) Nr. 4 on 13 Sep 1899.
Attended the Military Riding Institute at Hannover from 1 Oct 1902 until 30 Sep 1904 having been transferred to Kürassier-Regiment von Seydlitz (Magdeburgisches) Nr. 7 on the 29th of December 1903.

Died: Hildesheim on the 26th of November 1904.

Brian,

In addition to what I told you before I have these two pictures. They show the two kinds of pages and you can see for yourself which one is more ornate, Hope this helps!

liebpage.jpg

hofpage.jpg

Thank you so much for this entry. Seeing the two uniforms is great. I assumed you knew what you were talking about but to actually see Artur's unform on someone else and to see the other page's uniform just makes it 100% accurate. Amazing this piece of information didn't flow down. Sad to think Artur would have become a General... At least an Oberst by August, 1914.

I will double check the letters and documents to see if ANYTHING relates to this period.

An interesting tidbit is that these pictures came out of a class photo. You know the kind -- individual pictures in bubbles on a large background showing each member of the cadet company. Those who were pages took their pictures in page uniforms. The other members of the company were in standard dress. Must have been a pretty big thing!

Hi Brian,

nice to see you here :)

Regarding Artur's potential to reach General or Colonels' rank in 1914, I think you are a little optimistic. Had he lived he would have been promoted to Oberleutnant in 1907 and to Rittmeister in 1912 at which rank he would have entered the war.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I figured at age 36 maybe higher rank. It would interesting to see the role the Kürassier-Regiment von Seydlitz (Magdeburgisches) Nr. 7 played beginning in 1914 and how in peril he would have been. As heavy cavalry I'm sure they evolved quickly into into something mechanized. Could imagine them on the Eastern Front on horse but certainly not the Western Front.

Brian,

having recently handled a copy of the rather magnificent Kürassier-Regiment 7 regimental history in Berlin, I ordered a copy. I expect it to arrive in the next day or so and will let you know what it says about the opening phase of the war.

What I can tell you is that K.R. 7 went to war in 1914 as part of the 2. Kavallerie-Division where it fought in France and Flanders before moving East in early November 1914.

Regards
Glenn

Now that is really coincidental... My grandfather, who would have been Artur's brother-in-law;

09 Aug 1916: Commander 2nd Cavalry Division .

Back