Something for Lost Skeleton

Mike Huxley

Just a little bar to get you thinking !!!! Some interesting awards on it. Also a possibly made by "Godet"

Maybe it goes with the Haube that I posted today ????

For my "Medal Bar" friend

badenemodp7.jpg

badenemrqx5.jpg

hoh01wq6.jpg

Hi Mike:

It's great hearing from you. You have certainly been missed. Your (wunder) bar does have me thinking. Though I don't own one for comparison, is it unusual for the Hohenzollern Verdienstmedaille to have a six pointed star where a spray of laurels is customarily found? I see the star appears on the reverse as well. Interesting!

I've always loved the intricate ribbon of the Sachsen-Meiningen Ehren-Medaille. Our friend from Baden must have performed some duty for the duchy to earn that one.

What maker produced the 14/18 Ehrenkreuz? I can't make it out.

I also saw your Baden M15. That's a great helmet. Mucho congratulations on both acquisitions.

Don't be a stranger.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
Though I don't own one for comparison, is it unusual for the Hohenzollern Verdienstmedaille to have a six pointed star where a spray of laurels is customarily found? I see the star appears on the reverse as well. Interesting!

Chas, You know how things are ..... time get's taken by many things and I've been somewhat busy lately.

The six sided star on both side of the Hohenzollern Verdienstmedaille is correct for the award from 1842. The pictures shown in Neal O'Connor's vol 7 do look as if it is a laurel leaf. However in "Hessenthal & Schreiber's" book it is clearly shown as a star.

The Ehrenkreuz is marked "39 R.V.PFORZHEIM"

I would love to find out the story behind this bar. As you say, the guy must have been attached to or carried out some service for Sachsen- Meiningen duchy to have earnt it.

Although, it's almost imposible to trace O.R bars, there may be a chance with this one when Rick Lundstrom has finished collating the award rolls he has for these three states. I live in hope.

Anything new for you lately?

Hi Mike:

I'm always on the lookout for something new, but haven't scored any medal bars recently. In fact, it has been ages since I've acquired any German orders/decorations.

I have managed to obtain some significant Brit medals, but no longer post them due to chronic apathy. :(

The DCM thread is a case in point:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2855

237 views generating a solitary comment from Mark (bless his heart). It's just not worth the effort.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
I have managed to obtain some significant Brit medals, but no longer post them due to chronic apathy.

Chas, your so right. There is only one forum that take's Brit medals seriously. http://www.britishmedalforum.com/index.php Like here, the guys are very well informed and the information is of a great help.

I collect British awards to the "7th Cameron Highlanders", my Great Uncles regiment and the "23rd London", my Grandfathers regiment.

Recently I was lucky to find on Ebay a MM to A/Sjt M King of the 7th Camerons .... only 61 MM's were awarded to the 7th. Unfortunatly his service record was destroyed during WWII, but I have a copy of his MIC and the London Gazette entry for the MM. He was also entitled to a trio, but as yet not found .... I live in hope that one day I may be able to reunite them.

Here's the MM

militarymedalbraverycambu5.jpg

militarymedalbraverycamsj6.jpg

I can't help it I used to collect brittish and Canadian Medals, the imperial german collection is only 5 years in the wor's.
Nice Medal bar to go with that Hauben.
Nice MM.
Mark :D

Hi Mike:

I examined a Sudan Medal named to a casualty of the 1/Cameron Highlanders that Chris Dixon brought to the Show of Shows. The medal is still available:

http://www.dixonsmedals.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=30374

Too bad it's not the 7th.

I visit the British Medals Forum frequently, but have yet to register as a member.

I really like your Military Medal. I see from the photo that it still displays original mint bloom--beautiful. One of sixty-one makes it virtually exclusive, and named to a Sergeant no less. Congratulations!

At the risk of coming off as "one up" (which I most earnestly do not intend), have you seen the following?

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1783

Finally, here's a teaser of my pride and joy (certainly worthy of a dedicated thread). I know you'll appreciate it.

EVIIR-copy.jpg

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
Hi Mike:

I examined a Sudan Medal named to a casualty of the 1/Cameron Highlanders that Chris Dixon brought to the Show of Shows. The medal is still available:

http://www.dixonsmedals.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=30374

Too bad it's not the 7th.

I visit the British Medals Forum frequently, but have yet to register as a member.

I really like your Military Medal. I see from the photo that it still displays original mint bloom--beautiful. One of sixty-one makes it virtually exclusive, and named to a Sergeant no less. Congratulations!

At the risk of coming off as "one up" (which I most earnestly do not intend), have you seen the following?

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1783

Finally, here's a teaser of my pride and joy (certainly worthy of a dedicated thread). I know you'll appreciate it.

EVIIR-copy.jpg

Chas.

Chas, thanks to the link to the Sudan award, I may take the bait? The history behind yor MM is fantastic. Like you, one of the reasons I collect to British awards is that in most cases the history is traceable.

It's not a "one up" thing ... it's about sharing information and history and I'm more than happy to exchange and share this with you and other members on the forum.

NOW You bugger .... fancy showing such a rare award as the POLAR MEDAL and the fact that it is a silver one .... Come on ..share the name with us. Very rare and an award that I would die for.

Go on write up a thread on this one. I for one would be happy to see the story behind this medal.

PS .. this must be a very rare one as it is inscribed on the front with "Epsomgreen" ..never seen this before :^o hehehe

Lost Skeleton said:
I have managed to obtain some significant Brit medals, but no longer post them due to chronic apathy. :(

The DCM thread is a case in point:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2855

237 views generating a solitary comment from Mark (bless his heart). It's just not worth the effort.

Chas.

Chas,

I guess I owe you an apology! I'm afraid I was one of those 237 views without comment. I did look, but I really don't care all that much for British medals and consequently, I don't know very much about them. Since I don't know much about them, I don't feel very qualified to make comments. I guess I should have said something to have acknowledged your posting though.

Liongules said:
I guess I owe you an apology!
Hi Mike:

Not in the least. The last thing I want is for anyone to respond in a obligatory manner. Mike Huxley put it best:

Mike Huxley said:
it's about sharing information and history and I'm more than happy to exchange and share this with you and other members on the forum.
The only feedback I require is hearing whether this, or anything, I undertake is of sufficient interest and relevance to benefit the forum.

Mike Huxley and Mark:

As for the Polar Medal, I'll prepare something, but I want to do the subject justice. In other words, it may be a few days in coming.:D

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
As for the Polar Medal, I'll prepare something, but I want to do the subject justice. In other words, it may be a few days in coming

Chas, Take your time, an artical on this rare award would be VERY interesting. To be honest it should also be shown to a wider audience.

To those of you who are not that up on British awards, believe me ... This one is outstanding. Related to captain Scott's Antartic Expidition of 1902-04 who served on the " Discovery".

I'll say no more and let Chas give you all the details behind this award.

Mike:

I don't see a tie between Sachsen-Meiningen and Baden on your bar, but there certainly is a tie between the Hohenzollern medal and Baden. ID 28 included both Fus.R.40 and L.G.R.109 and G.R.110. Also, a second possibility is 115 ID which included both R.J.R.40 and two squadrons of Drag.R.22

Regards

Dave

dave mosher said:
Mike:

I don't see a tie between Sachsen-Meiningen and Baden on your bar

Dave,

Neither do I see the connection, but the bar is 100% original. That's what makes it so interesting to me. I agree that the Hohenzollern connection could well be through ID 28, this is the most probable senario. By the way the Hohenzollern is the gilt award.

Needs far more research yet.

In the meantime .. here's another teazer and very rare pair for you guys to look at ...

saxaltenberg1dn3.jpg

Back