Something Turkish

Markgraf

Hi Gentlemen!

I Don't know exactly what is it. The star and the crescent seems Turkish however the cypher has Latin characters.
Maybe a shako part or a bearskin plate? Please help!

01023.jpg

According a gentleman on the GMIC this isn't Turkish but Egyptian.

Probably the M and S means Muhammad Sa'id Pasha

I found the same plate here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=190075&start=90#p1761562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very interesting. Egypt's 19th century history is fascinating. It was a semi-independent part of the Ottoman Empire and then was all but officially annexed by the British in the 1880s, this after the French tried to win favor by building the Suez Canal.

The old part of Cairo was one of the most modern cities in the world in the 1870s - and it had electric lights before Paris! I saw the Caliph's palace when I was in Cairo in 2009 and it was an impressive looking building. My only regret about my visit (other than not having more time) was that I didn't spend at least one night at the Sherpard's Hotel. That an Raffles in Singapore on my lists of things I must do at some point.

Indeed intresting!
Uniform button's for tramway of Cairo staff, at that time where made in Belgium by Fonson.
I have the die somewhere!
|<

Back