SOS find KAGGR1

mike kelso

This massive board was my first find at SOS. It is the pattern board with a heavy square D cord introduced in 1866, replacing the epaulette, for field grade officers. This pattern was worn until a change for field grade offices in December 1903.

This board was worn by an Oberst in Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier Regiment Nr. 1 This board can be dated to after 1889 as the cypher has beveled edges. Cyphers of foreign monarchs begin to use beveled edges by order in 1889. Note also the Russian crown over the cypher.

Thank to Brian's tutorial I finally learned to post!

Mike that was a great find, it was a pleasure to see it in person.

Also great seeing you again and looking forward to your book.

James

Excellent pic and explanation Mike. Now we have to get Steve on board so he can get his photos up!

Here is another purchase of Steve's from the SOS. I will let him do the explanation.

Well the former owner of the 3. Kurhessisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 81 board can really only be this chap:

General der Infanterie Prinz Friedrich Karl von Hessen (1868-1940). Chef of I.R. 81 since 24 November 1911 (Gen.d.Inf. on 24.12.14).

Regards
Glenn

hessenfk.jpg

Thanks for the information Glenn. I hadn't got around to checking the lists. This was a good find for Steve. He is partial to general officer and royalty boards. Quite the collection.

Mike

Like I said before, Glenn is the forum's Sherlock Holmes on tracking down original owners. Well done sir!

Back