SOS updates

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Seams there is a lot of theft etc. at the SOS show. As per the latest newsletter, at future shows, anyone caught with a badge that does not have their name on it will be ejected from the show. Hopefully this will stop all the people that are always asking for a badge to get in without paying for one up front.

Also, looks like starting in 2017 that table holders and all their helpers will have to be members of the OVMS to get in and get a badge, otherwise they will have to wait until Friday afternoon to get in with public.

James

The show is also expanding in 2016 so I would recommend to anyone who wants to get in early to just get a table. I'm sure you can find someone to share with, and this way you can get in for Wednesday set up and early on Thursday.

I think the new rules are going to be a good thing. It is obvious that the thefts were taking place during a time that the only people allowed in would have to have a pass. I think that in the near future all passes will also have photo ID on them. It is still possible to get passes, but you will have to find a table holder who is willing to get one for you and then pony up the money a year in advance. Then if you miss the show, the pass goes in the trash.

joerookery said:
I don't think it was Gus. He wouldn't even steal the postcard of himself.
I am still hurt that it is the lowest priced card in your book.

Gustaf said:
I think that in the near future all passes will also have photo ID on them. It is still possible to get passes, but you will have to find a table holder who is willing to get one for you and then pony up the money a year in advance. Then if you miss the show, the pass goes in the trash.

I doubt the passes will need photos at least not anytime soon. I've been to a few trade shows that tried this and it is a nightmare for registration. It actually would hurt a collectibles show because at some point people would say "why bother."

I agree theft is a problem, and it is a problem at any collectibles show or any trade show. What needs to be done is that when caught the theft is charged and taken away in handcuffs. Too often people accept an apology and don't press charges. Someone needs to be charged to the maximum extent of the law, but this doesn't happen. Actually what could help is inexpensive web cameras. Many flea markets already use these. Put a camera on your tables with a sign that you're on camera and I bet a lot of the theft would cease immediately.

BTW... the Baltimore Antique Arms Show does very much what you said Gus. They are EXTREMELY strict when it comes to passes, and anyone caught with a pass not belonging to them is banned from all future shows. OVMS could take some cues from Baltimore, and that includes having show officers who essentially "manage" a section. They take turns walking the aisles, check in with dealers, etc. I know some of us would be happy to help out in this regard.

I will add that I was taking photos for Military Trader at the Baltimore Show and I had THREE officers stop to explain the rules. Each time I had to explain I asked permission, etc. Some people complain about the rules at that show but they don't have the problems of other large shows and Baltimore is still 1000+ tables and has been going on since around 1958!

Back