Soviet Headgear

RON

Although still fairly cheap--I recently bought all the below caps for a total that barely exceeds a quarter of the price of a regular pickelhaube--these will pick-up soon I'm sure as they're quite nice to look at and display!

Soviet Navy sailor's cap dated 1987 with "Baltic Fleet" ("БАЛТИЙСКИЙ ФЛОТ") on its tally:
SovietNavySailorCapBalticFleetUshanka-ColdWar.jpg

Misc. Soviet visor caps from the Cold War era (Army, Navy, Police):
SovietArmyHats-c1970-1990a.jpg

That is some nice stuff. What is impressive about the Soviet headgear is that it still had that Czarist look to it.

This stuff is cheap but is going up and up! It will never rival the more expensive WWI/WWII stuff, as there is just too much of it, but it is becoming rarer!

Hey Peter, I'm pretty sure that in 2 or 300 years from now there will be much less of these lying around and my grand children/descendents will praise me for having purchased a few... :wink:

Anyway, they're really cool to look at and remind me of the Hunt for the Red October 1990 movie with Sean Connery... the navy hats at least.

And speaking of Soviet Navy headgear, here's a family shot with a cool cap described as a Soviet Navy Technical Junior Officer's Visor Hat from 1988:
Caps-SovietNavyHeadgear-1980s.jpg

Yeah, I know. That's why I don't mention that Ushanka anywhere above. My brother got it for less than $10 from this Minsk souvenir shop and I thought it looked nice with my other stuff... however the badge that came on it is either real or a very good copy. Not that the original ones are expensive anyway.

Wouldn't mind buying a real Cold-War era Ushanka though :wink:

if you need the original Soviet hat or cap, please, I'll find you a free
Officer's cap is also not the USSR. The Soviets were less

Recently won this NVA Winter Pelzmütze for cheap ($12)... The seller, a Cold War US veteran said he brought it back from Berlin in the 1980s as a memento. It's still in transit so I'm posting his own photos for now:
Caps-East-GermanLandstreitkraumlfteLandForcesWinterPelzmuumltzeFurCap-ColdWar-a_zps650f7833.jpg

Caps-East-GermanLandstreitkraumlfteLandForcesWinterPelzmuumltzeFurCap-ColdWar-d_zps5b39a64f.jpg

Hey Matt, come to think of it, it was the Buy it Now price! Starting price was even lower but I thought it was already cheap enough... I had to pay another $12 for shipping but still cheap...

I was wondering if these were actually referred to by the East Germans as "Pelzmütze" or "Ushanka" like their Soviet bosses? :-k Anyone knows?

Back