Spam Issue

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Recently, we had a massive spam posting here on the forum in all comment areas . James sent me an email, I checked it out and contacted our tech support Joel. Joel dealt with the problem very quickly, and cleaned out all the crap. I just wanted to commend Joel for his efforts and to inform those members who have contributed to the cost of the forum that our money has been well spent. :thumb up:

Sorry to see this spamming going on here on a massive level.

Is it possible to have things set up so that any new member registering has to be approved by site admin or Brian or someone before they are allowed to post here? I say that without honestly knowing how it works currently with new member registration.

I recall that with a couple of other forums I'm a member of, it took 24-hrs or so before my membership was approved, before I was activated. Not sure if that would help here or not.

Best Regards,

Alan

I also agree with the activation idea. This is getting really annoying.
It sure hits us hard today.

Greetings, Coert.

Joel has dealt with the issue once again but I will email him regarding your comments and see what can be done.

Looks like we've once again been viciously spammed to no end on here.

What would the possibility be of a moratorium on new members being allowed to automatically register and start posting immediately?

Would that slow this nonsense down a bit?

Maybe even make new registrants fill out some sort of a question form, seeking to find out what their interest is for wanting to join and post on here, before they are allowed to post anything.

Best Regards,

Alan

ww1czechlegion said:
Looks like we've once again been viciously spammed to no end on here.

What would the possibility be of a moratorium on new members being allowed to automatically register and start posting immediately?

Would that slow this nonsense down a bit?

Maybe even make new registrants fill out some sort of a question form, seeking to find out what their interest is for wanting to join and post on here, before they are allowed to post anything.

Best Regards,

Alan
+1
WRF also changed their politics regarding first posts to new comers and it works.

cheers
Kris

by b.loree: What are the changes WRF has made?

Thanks for your question Brian.

Here is one thing that I can see that they have done: Before any new registered member can do anything else on the forum, They Must Make a Posting on the "New Users Approval Forum" section of the forum, found at the bottom of the forum page. It's similar to our "Introduce Yourself" area that you created here, which was a great idea.

New users approval forum on WRF states: "Let us know something about you. As this is your first visit as member of the forum, we require your first post here, before you will be allowed to enter the community."

I"m not sure what else they have done to slow down spamming issues over there Brian. Kris may know more details about this, or some other additional features they have added.

I do know that a few weeks back I was unable to access their forum for approximately 2-weeks, because they were getting "coin-miner" virus attacks from what I understand.

Best Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the information Alan I will be contacting Joel our tech support today to see what he suggests. I just found out today, that Tony has been going in every morning and removing thousands of spam posts.

Back