stahlhelm id help

A

Anonymous

Companeros,
I need your opinions on the following helmet. What are your opinions on the camo?

89camo1.jpg

89camo.jpg

thanks
francisco

Hi Francisco,
The cammo lookes to be from the right time, the colours are correct to my eye, it also appears to have the right oxidization. I have not handled many M1918 helmets, and I am not familiar with the liner or chin strap, they both look to me to be replacements. The liner should have a metal band to which three pads should be attached, also, the chin strap bails should be attached to the liner band. Did not the Austrians make a helmet with the bails rivited to the helmet?
Best wihses
Gustavo el Loco

Gustaf said:
Hi Francisco,
The cammo lookes to be from the right time, the colours are correct to my eye, it also appears to have the right oxidization. I have not handled many M1918 helmets, and I am not familiar with the liner or chin strap, they both look to me to be replacements. The liner should have a metal band to which three pads should be attached, also, the chin strap bails should be attached to the liner band. Did not the Austrians make a helmet with the bails rivited to the helmet?
Best wihses
Gustavo el Loco

Hi Chico,
I need to agree with Gustavo ( el es loco ), besides his crazyness, I think he's right.
Otto el Sabio

Hi,

Gustaf is right, since it is an Austrian helmet M17 (and not a German M16 or M18). The way to attach the chinstrap gives the clue.

Douglas

Back