Stahlhelm

A

Anonymous

Comments?

PICT0304.jpg

Chas.

Tony is absolutely correct. These helmets were manufactured by the British arms firm, Vickers, and supplied to the Irish Army in 1927. The brackets on the front of the helmet were for the attachment of an officer's pattern cap badge.

PICT0305.jpg

This helmet is number H 275 of 10,021.

PICT0307.jpg

The liner is quite similar to the type found in the M16 German Stahlhelm.

PICT0306.jpg

PICT0310.jpg

Though the shell is English, the liners were manufactured in Ireland and produced in two sizes: small and large.

PICT0309.jpg

The chinstrap, dated 1939, is also Irish.

PICT0311.jpg

The Vickers 1927 helmet was replaced by the British Mark II helmet in 1940. As they were withdrawn from military service, the Vickers was painted white for use by civil defense units and fire brigades.

Ungewöhnlich, is it not?

Chas.

Well, I'm not surprised that it is not WWI. My only question is why use this helmet? You would think that so soon after the end of the war that there would be a lot of negative conotations attached to this shape.

Chip

Hi Chip:

From my understanding, the Irish Free State first tested the French "Adrian" style helmet, which proved unsatisfactory. The Government then decided upon the German design because it was, quite simply, the best.

Germany was first approached as the supplier, but the Treaty of Versailles forbade the export of military hardware. Consequently, Vickers won the contract to produce a copy (albeit inferior). It's interesting to note that a stepped ventilation lug was retained regardless of shell size, even though the helmet was never equipped with brow armor.

With the expansion of the army and reserves, the Irish Government renewed talks with Eisenhüttenwerk Thale, AG in the late 1930s to acquire M35 Stahlhelms. Versailles was no longer an issue, but Anglo/Irish politics were. Cosequently, the British Government undercut the Germans to ensure the Irish soldier once again resembled Tommy Atkins.

Chas.

Hi Francisco:

Thank you for posting the link. I will certainly have a project on my hands if I attempt a restoration of this helmet.

Chas.

I have a nice Irish helmet but I've been in search for a badge for quite some time. My understanding is that only the officers received the badges.

Most of the ones on eBay are fakes. The real ones are quite hard to find. I was recently discussing hte badges on the Wehrmact Awards Forum:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122085&page=2

I posted a comparison of (what I believe to be) a real one vs. a fake one.

Very interesting thread Peter. Thank you for providing the link.

Chas.

Back