stelletano's Württemberg Kugelhelm

Gustaf

Staff member
Greetings all,
I am posting a few photos of stelletano's Württemberg Kugelhelm, Mike is looking for a Wappen for this helmet, and I had hoped that those of you who know, would give him a rundown of the history of this helmet. Not that the phantom of the Württemberg Wappen is very clear, it has curved chin scales, an angular fron peak, pearlring, and cruciform base.
Best wishes
Gus
rightside6wu.jpg

leftside9zc.jpg

front6it.jpg

Ah nice shell. I hate it when you have to stick things together but it is a quest. The trick of course is the distance between the holes must match up to the posts on the wappen. I do not think finding a wappen would be that hard they come up on ebay frequently. Do not punch new holes to fit the wappen you get. Often you will see a collector who has broken one mounting post off and reattached it to "fit" the size. I'm not in favor of that either.

I have a Wurt arty officer with ball and trichter.
full.jpg

In fact there was one for sale at SOS that looked pretty good.
4 regiments of Field arty. Only 2 wore plumes but many private purchase helmets had removable spikes / balls so if it twists off it means little for identification.

Look at my wurt cockade
wurtcockade.jpg

A bit different than yours. I cannot make out if yours has a ring as in M15 style or is only 48mm. There were both 48mm and 55mm single piece cockades for Wrt.
NCOCockade_04.jpg

One more thing and I will go back to trying to make this T time.....
Look at the antlers on this deer.
wurttop.jpg

OFTEN they are broken. Be aware of this and GREAT hunting.
VR/Joe

I see a Prussian style Wurtt kokarde on my screen Joe ie serrated edge with separate red painted ring. It is definately not the pre war style of kokarde which you show in your pictures. This would suggest, that the helme is a mid war piece. The convex chin scales also indicate field artillery officer. Brian

Back