Super-Small Cockades

kaiserzeit

Hello All!

With an appropriate apology up front, I saved the attached image a long time ago and have forgotten where I got it - Thank you and apologies to my mystery benafactor.

I got to wondering when one would use those super-small 32 mm. cockades. On tschapka? on Hussar's busbies? on tschakos? Were these little guys exclusively a Saxon practice or did other states get into the act, too?

Thank you in advance,

Laurie

saxon_kokarden1.jpg
[/img]

Laurie: As far as I am aware these small kokardes were only used on Saxon tschakos. There are good photographs of them on the 12th Jaeger tschako on Tony's web site and on the 13th Jaeger tschako pictured on the forum under the title Saxon Shako Covers, posted by Joe on November 4.

Reservist1

This is correct. These small cockades were worn on the saxon Tschako (I can't remember the regiment #; 107? 108?..). These are very rare.
Bruno

Nice photo. Taken in NB. :iconbiggrin:

That was one of the postings I made on the now-crashed version 1.0 of this Forum. The text that accompanied it is below:

Tony & Kaiser from zee old postink said:
I finally obtained the last Sachsen Kokarde I needed to take this photo for my upcoming page on Sachsen Tschako. I wanted to show the dramatic difference in size between the Pickelhaube Kokarde and the tiny M1867 Sachsen Tschako Kokarde. So here it is for your interest:

A. Standard Sachsen Infantry 49 mm Mannschaften Pickelhaube painted Kokarde with the cut-out for the M91 post. Note how the white paint on these tends to be quite thick and is often found crackled from age.

B. The Sachsen 32 mm Mannschaften Tschako Kokarde for the M91 post. I have never encountered one with the white portion painted; they tend to have a white "frosting" normally worn away.

C. Standard Sachsen 54 mm officer Pickelhaube Kokarde. These were usually brass with silver frosted wash which appeared almost white. On this example, as is typical for these, the silver is almost gone revealing the brass. The reverse, however, still retains much of the silver wash.

D. The Sachsen 32 mm officer Tschako Kokarde for the M91 post. These are normally found with the small hole, but this one, like the M15 (?) officer Pickelhaube Kokarde for the other states, was made for the M91 post. This one retains almost all silver frosted wash. As Sachsen officers who wore the M1867 Tschako wore leather chinstraps, this would be a very simple adaptation.

The small 32mm Kokarde was worn only by the following troops:

Kgl. Sächs. Train-Bataillon Nr.12 and 19
Kgl. Sächs. Jäger-Batl. Nr.13, 14, and 15
Kgl. Sächs. Schützen (Füsilier)-Regt. Prinz Georg Nr.108

Thanks, Tony.

As always, you are gracious and your information is well-researched and complete.

All the best,

Laurie

Back