"Tales of Hoffmann"

Lost Skeleton

No, I'm not referring to the 19th century German Romantic writer, E.T.A. Hoffmann, or the opera by Jacques Offenbach, or the movie by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. The subject, rather, is the one helmet I purchased at the SOS. Needless to say, it once belonged to a "Jäger Hoffmann," who thought enough of his Tschako to copy his name for posterity.

A century old and holding up rather well:

sosjb103.jpg

sosjb104.jpg

Stamped inside the front peak is the number, [Nr.1721GRst]. The 1721 prefix is also stamped inside the crown, and was once covered by a paper name tag (one of three that are partially extant).

sosjb106.jpg

sosjb105.jpg

The full view (almost):

sosjb107.jpg

With so much going on inside, I most likely would have bought the Tschako regardless of the Bataillon. However, it proved to be something more than the ordinary.

sosjb102.jpg

P1011722.jpg

Chas

Very, very nice Chas, he certainly made sure everyone else knew it was "HIS" helmet...Great find.:thumb up:

Larmo

Excellent Chas, congratulations. They really do not get much better than that piece. Brian

Apart from being an ace piece, I really like the two different type-styles he used to sign it with - both really unique, elegant and interesting.

NICE helmet! So, you really think it belonged to some guy named "Hoffmann", eh? :D I like somebody who took pride in his helmet.

Ron

Back