The conservative headgear

911car

For me, the Dragoner spiked helmet remains THE Pickelhaube. It retains many marks of its filiation. While spiked helmets in most other arms evolved dramatically, the Dragoner version retained its squared visor, pearlring, cruciform spike basis, and visible retainers on the spine. Till the ultimate version in 1915. I wonder if there is a known reason for this conservatism...

G1080613.JPG

Oh my - that's a gorgeous gathering of Dragoner helmets, Bruno! IMO they are indeed the most beautiful of IG spiked helmets - which may be why they didn't see a need to refine or alter them.

Group photo! With no visible alcohol. Dragoner Kammerstück paradise.

Bruno may I ask what is that seasoned Neusilber in the back?
What an eye, Tony ! Yes, you are right, this is patinated Neusilber and not brass. DR15. The helmet is so genuine, intact, that I did not dare cleaning it at all. I did not even undo chinscales...

For me, the Dragoner spiked helmet remains THE Pickelhaube. It retains many marks of its filiation. While spiked helmets in most other arms evolved dramatically, the Dragoner version retained its squared visor, pearlring, cruciform spike basis, and visible retainers on the spine. Till the ultimate version in 1915. I wonder if there is a known reason for this conservatism...

View attachment 27639
That is a hell of a line up !
How do we pick our favorites ?
I like the Dragoons as well as the Prussian Grenadiers
also quite a bit of work to do that display , unless that is your normal Dragoon display
Here is all that I can add , other than Garde Dragoon Regts 1 & 2
D R 2 officer Dragoon Regt 2  Officer.JPGHessian D R 23 officer 1915.JPG
D R 9 officer in gilt and silver
Hessian D R 23 officer with late awarded star
SteveD R 9 X 2 a.JPG

That is a hell of a line up !
How do we pick our favorites ?
I like the Dragoons as well as the Prussian Grenadiers
also quite a bit of work to do that display , unless that is your normal Dragoon display
Here is all that I can add , other than Garde Dragoon Regts 1 & 2
D R 2 officer View attachment 27645View attachment 27646
D R 9 officer in gilt and silver
Hessian D R 23 officer with late awarded star
SteveView attachment 27644

Many thanks, Steve ! Wonderful helmets. I have been, of course, looking for a DR2 officer helmet, but no luck so far. Perhaps you should explain why the DR9 officer helmet above comes in both gold and silver color; some on the forum may not know the reason...

Many thanks, Steve ! Wonderful helmets. I have been, of course, looking for a DR2 officer helmet, but no luck so far. Perhaps you should explain why the DR9 officer helmet above comes in both gold and silver color; some on the forum may not know the reason...
Bruno ;
As I am sure that you do know the reason
There was a late A K O that all dragoon helmets were to change to silver trim ( except 1 Garde D R )
It would remain gilt
there are only a few that one could tell like D R 9
we have also seen D R 2 in silver
D R 1 would be one that we could spot
the late silver ones are very hard to find
Steve

Bruno ;
As I am sure that you do know the reason
There was a late A K O that all dragoon helmets were to change to silver trim ( except 1 Garde D R )
It would remain gilt
there are only a few that one could tell like D R 9
we have also seen D R 2 in silver
D R 1 would be one that we could spot
the late silver ones are very hard to find
Steve
Yes, Steve, and since this AKO came very late (September 1915), gilt helmets converted to silver are seldom seen, as you wrote. It is good you could show the DR9 example.

Wow, this is one heck of a post. Superb helmets all around. I too love the look and the dragoon helmet. Wonderful display

Wow you guys !!!
THANKS FOR SHARING !!!
Hey Amy, I sold my last dragoon helmet to you .
I wish I had it back !:(

Shelf 14 , how many shelves do you have ???

Back