The Fourth Reaction.

Hi you Guy's. A strange thing happened to me yesterday. After my French language class here in Hyeres a few of us stagger round to the cafe for several cups of coffee. There's a real nice girl from England in the class named Michelle and her boyfriend is French and a Photographer. We are all talking about hobbies and stuff and she say's ".........Jerome collects vintage camera's and the bloody house is full of them......men eh?" - you dont collect stuff do you Mike? "Well..er...yeah I do actually..." . so after some cajoling I tell 'em - [howls of laughter and looks of shocked disbelief ensued from several quarters] and I was expecting the third reaction - the blank stare, but without batting an eyelid Michelle say's " Oh yes, I think I've seen one of them in the old armoir in the garage, Jerome used to go out with his mates in Northern France and dig up battlefields - I'll try to find it". Well I 'phoned Michelle this morning and she found it and ".....it is leather with a brass spike and it has funny kind of fish-scales hanging of both sides and two brass ringed holes in the back and a brass ridge at the front and says 'RJR-something' on one of the flaps". I was stunned.She's bringing it to class tomorrow - I can't wait! :roll:

Hey Mikey,
It does not hurt to advertize, that is one reason I display my collection in public (I also like to share) I have acquired many items because people know that I am interested.
Gus

Quote:
two brass ringed holes in the back and a brass ridge at the front

Don't get your hopes up --- this one was made backwards.
Hey Joe, I missed that, you are right but this is a very rare helmet made for retreating, that way the enemy thinks that they are attacking. the "RJR" is simple, it stands for the retreating Infantry Regt.
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Mikey,
It does not hurt to advertize, that is one reason I display my collection in public (I also like to share) I have acquired many items because people know that I am interested.
Gus

Yes, that's true. I know a Brazilian collector who does that exibithions, many many times he get very especials gifts!
Otto

I agree with all that. I'll let you all know what it turns out like tomorrow. It's probably an old beater, or it will be once it's been passed around the class and everyone's had a go at wearing it and goose-stepping round in it. I dont know if Jerome wants to flog it or not anyhow. Hope it turns out to be a Dutchy or something - trouble is finding the plate :roll: It's a laugh though is'nt it - the way these things turn up - as you say Gus, advertise!

Mike you should tell them about your London neighbourhood flyer story. Remember delivering door to door?? I told you this years ago, talk it up with anyone you meet. Many people especially of the Depression Era would rather give it away to someone who has an interest than throw it away. Oh and BTW Mikey did you clue into "the old armoir" in the garage as well??? Our house is decorated in antique furniture. Brian

Hi Brian, yeah I'd forgotten that one. I'll relate it sometime soon. I'm always a bit reticent about telling people that I dig these things, they always seem to look at you as if you're some kind of weird-o or at least pretty eccentric. Someone even said something like ".....how can you stand to be around all that Nazi stuff" - thinking they have a 3rd. Reich connection - but then a top Brit celebrity recently revealed on a TV quiz that she ".....did'nt know America was involved in the second World War "!!, so nothing's that surprising.
Antique furniture - us too! I've managed always to talk Annie out of buying anything modern furniture-wise. Do you have 'Ikea' there? What a bloody joke that is. In France, this time last year we had some real high winds for a while. No major damage anywhere except that our local Ikea superstore's roof completely blew off! I think there's a lesson there somewhere.

There are 2 Ikeas in Toronto. I think that their product seemed better 20 years ago. Its OK if you are a student trying to furnish a flat. B

Back