The funeral of the Kaiser's wife

The cockades, epaulets, belts. The Kürassier "Königin" Pommersches Nr.2 Officers had the trophies on their Hohenfriedberg Brustschilder veiled as well. Years ago I posted a topic on King Albert of the Belgians Dragoner Nr.16 helmet. Brussels Army Museum. Still not clear on what occasion he wore this. Cockades and Wappen have this very thin black mourning veil. Pics are gone. Will repost. Regards.https://www.pickelhaubes.com/xf/threads/dragoner-helm-with-mourning-veil.11054/
The picture on the left shows General à la suite to the Kürassier Regiment "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2, General von Vietinghoff.
Done. Reposted!

Whilst looking at similar photographs taken on the occasion of the funeral of the Kaiser's mother in 1901, I noticed for the first time what appears to be another funeral order of dress practice: the sashes (Schärpe) and waist belts also appear to have been darkened and in some cases almost blackened. We see it on Steve's photographs above and on this one below from 1901. General der Kavallerie Alfred Graf von Schlieffen is leading this section of the procession.

Regards
Glenn

View attachment 29721
I think that is the Schloss Garde troops
not often seen in photos
very nice
Steve

Here are two examples (Mounted & Foot) of Bavarian Mourning Portepee alongside a standard Bavarian Officer Portepee for comparison. The knots are black with blue highlights to denote Bavaria.

Very scarce accouterments.

Attachments

• Bav sword knots.JPG
    Bav sword knots.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Bav sword knot black 3.JPG
    Bav sword knot black 3.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Bav sword knot black 2.JPG
    Bav sword knot black 2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 9
More real photo postcards of the death of the Kaiserin .
April 11, 1921
We see von Hindenburg and some troops of the 1 G R zu Fuss
Since it was 1921 and we see lots of the military still wearing their uniforms and spiked helmets
the question comes up
were their helmets from pre WWI or were they wearing newer helmets ?
It is also clear that some of the helmets have the black mess covering the helmet plates .
The Kaiser was not allowed back to Germany for the funeral of his wife .
SteveView attachment 25503View attachment 25504View attachment 25505
I like this series of real photo postcards , so I bought 4 more in the series .
here they are
we see the officers of Kurassiere Regt 2 in one of these
and the final resting place
SteveKR 2.jpgV I P .jpgmedals .jpgTemple .jpg

Steve ,

great additions to your collection. Interesting that the original caption shows General der Kavallerie a.D. Eugen von Falkenhayn as a Generaloberst. Like his brother Erich, he never attained this rank.

Regards
Glenn

Back