The Hessian postcard

joerookery

So I bought an expensive postcard. But once again I have to say, who are those guys? It was advertised as 115. It looked like 115. There were tons of different helmets, no guard stars, litzen, and a sign. Take a look at the card and some of the details.
Hessian115.jpg

Hessian115_4.jpg

Hessian115_3.jpg

Hessian115_1.jpg

What Regiment is this? The back of the card says 116. It looks like the sign says 116. The uniforms look like 115. I thought you would be interested.
Hessian115_2.jpg

Ruhl_115_116.jpg

It looks like RJR 116 drew their uniforms out of the stores for the 115th. Not too terribly shocking, expecially in a year of all types of uniform and equipment shortages.

Chip

Joe,

While browsing through Kraus I found an entry under "Besonderheiten", which states that the (hess.) Landwehr-Inf.-Rgt.Nr.116 I.Batl. wore the uniform of the Leibgarde-Inf.-Rgt. 115 with Litzen, but with the number 116 on the shoulder straps instead of the 115th's cypher. Perhaps somthing similar happened with the RIR 116.

Chip

I agree with Chip, RIR 116. on the sign for sure. The foto again provides excellent proof of the use of Prussian wappen even in Hessen units. Check out the 3 different cuff styles being worn as well. Brian

That's another interesting point that Brian makes regarding the cuffs. From what I can see, all of the men wearing the Hessian Wappen have the 115th style cuff with Litzen, while the ones with the Prussian Wappen have a mixture of 116th cuff (with the white Patten) and another plain Brandenburg cuff of a different color (most likely red, like the 115th only without the Litzen). It also appears that even though the other insignia differs, the shoulder straps look to be all the same.

Chip

Back