The HH auction 27 Oct.

KAGGR#1

In this auction there is a section that states that a helmet collection
and other items are here in the USA
the title of the collection is
Simmons Leigh Park Collection
lots 4222-4282
Has anyone ever heard of this collection ?
I started to collect in 1970 and I have met
most of the well-known collectors here in the USA
and collectors in Europe.
I have never heard this name mentioned .
Thanks
Steve

Here is the perfect example of another "Closet Collector" who is not known to our mainstream collector circle.

It does not surprise me. There are many more of these collectors out there in the U.S.A. who are basically "unknown" collectors that I, and others refer to as "closet collectors". They basically do not attend shows and keep their collecting very quiet and they do not participate in known collector forums such as this one or other ones that exist.

They may have accumulated their collections years ago via garage sales, estate sales, auctions, gun shows, and even via mail order catalogs or auction houses many years ago.

They have quietly collected for many years or decades, and only their immediate family probably knows about their hobby of collecting pickelhaubes. I can imagine there are many more out there who are like this collector who are an "unknown collector" and fly under the radar with our group here.

The collection a few years back that was purchased by Regimentals from an unknown collector here in the U.S. when Malcolm Fisher and his son were at a S.O.S. is another example of a "closet collector" who seems to be unknown within the famous collector circle here on this forum, or from Steve's fine and extensive experience of collecting since 1970 and knowing all of the well-known collections in the U.S. since that time period. There is a whole different world of collectors out there who don't go to shows and don't participate on forums, and who are basically unknown to any other collectors.

Every time I set up at a flea market or antique show or a gun show to fish for leads on helmets I always run into a large number of quiet "unknown" collectors who are out there in seemingly every little town in the midwest part of the U.S. They don't all collect pickelhaubes, but they all seem to collect some sort of military items, whether it be U.S. WW2 or WW1, German 3rd Reich, or whatever type of military object. It might shock anyone here to see how many small collectors there are out there all over the U.S. who are basically "unknown" to anyone else.

As a side note to the HH auction. Does anyone realize there is a helmet from Karel's collection on this auction? It's the Mecklenburg-Strelitz enlisted helmet on this current auction. I believe that this is the only helmet listed with provenance from his collection on this auction.

In reference to the aforementioned closet collectors, thats a very common thing especially in the third reich field and even more so in SS/SA items. Often times items that come from those kinds of collectors don't even see the open market so at least a few regular collectors might have a chance at bidding on something or at least seeing some rare/ nicer items appear on the market even if they can't be afforded, which from what I've noticed on HH auctions seems to be the usual scenario.

In reference to the aforementioned closet collectors, thats a very common thing especially in the third reich field and even more so in SS/SA items. Often times items that come from those kinds of collectors don't even see the open market so at least a few regular collectors might have a chance at bidding on something or at least seeing some rare/ nicer items appear on the market even if they can't be afforded, which from what I've noticed on HH auctions seems to be the usual scenario.
This is true , but since the collection seems to be unknown until now
why promote the name at the time of the sale ?
Noone seems to know who it is ?
Steve

The collection a few years back that was purchased by Regimentals from an unknown collector here in the U.S. when Malcolm Fisher and his son were at a S.O.S. is another example of a "closet collector" who seems to be unknown within the famous collector circle here on this forum
About the entire collection Regimentals purchased, is it the Feldgrau uniform collection of Mr. Marshall Daut?

About the entire collection Regimentals purchased, is it the Feldgrau uniform collection of Mr. Marshall Daut?
That is for sure one that they bought
but not the one that was written about I don't think
also MVD was a known collector
He came to my house several times
and he bought all of my Feldgrau uniforms
Here is an oversized book that was done
it shows the Feldgrau uniforms
Steve

That is for sure one that they bought
but not the one that was written about I don't think
also MVD was a known collector
He came to my house several times
and he bought all of my Feldgrau uniforms
Here is an oversized book that was done
it shows the Feldgrau uniforms
Steve
He is indeed known. I managed making contact with him to get one of his video tape on the Feldgrau subject earlier this year. Very nice guy and his work is still educational and inspiring today.

He is indeed known. I managed making contact with him to get one of his video tape on the Feldgrau subject earlier this year. Very nice guy and his work is still educational and inspiring today.
I forgot about the video tapes
Steve

No, this was a collection of pickelhaubes only that was purchased by Regimentals. It was purchased I believe in 2019, or possibly 2018. The collection of pickelhaubes was owned by someone unknown to us members here, who lived in either Indiana or Ohio. Maybe Randy T. knows who the gentleman is/was. The collection was shown in one of Regimental's Show of Shows videos that they made, which shows what they bought from the show and from the various collections they get into and purchase when they come over to the U.S. for the S.O.S. At that time, some members here were wondering who this collector is/was, and no one seemed to know who he is.

Marshall's collection was purchased several years before this time period. The Field Gray Uniforms book written by Malcolm Fisher and the late Michael Baldwin was released for sale by Schiffer Publications in 2012, so his collection was likely sold a year or two before the book was published.

Marshall sold his collection in 1997, about 250 felgrau uniforms. I was fortunate enough to see the entire collection when I visited him a couple years earlier, it was quite impressive to be sure, especially his cavalry room.

I would love to see the impressive collections like that some day
Meet other collectors
go to shows
make friends with other collators
then invite yourself to see their collations
most will be O K
I got to see the collection of the late Walter Eric Hartmann
before he passed away
He had one of the best in the USA
AOK has been able to buy some of his collection via Stephen Wolfe
for resale or for their own collections
now that S. Wolfe is out of the business
I don't know what will happen with the rest
Steve

Reactions: USN
Meet other collectors
go to shows
most will be O K
before he passed away
Steve
IMO the best helmet collection in the world is in Europe
It's a private collection but a few years ago I was able to
see it
I spent 1 full taking photos
Steve

Meet other collectors
go to shows
most will be O K
before he passed away
Steve
I am hoping to meet a few of the forum members one of these days, my dad inadvertently beat me too it when he met Alan and a few others at a show in Minnesota recently

I am hoping to meet a few of the forum members one of these days, my dad inadvertently beat me too it when he met Alan and a few others at a show in Minnesota recently
Sorry I missed your dad, I was at that show for a couple hours

James

Reactions: USN
Sometimes the family will ask the auctioneers as one of their conditions to put up a bio or blurb about the collector in order to win the rights to buy/auction it.

Some collectors like to remain in the shadows. Nothing wrong with it apart from us finding out about them/their collections when they appear on the market.

Sorry I missed your dad, I was at that show for a couple hours

James
Thats alright, he didn't know any members would be there until he had asked Alan for some help picking out something for me and evidently i was very identifiable as the navy guy who like imperial german haha. One of these days I will hopefully be able to take some leave and save enough money to attend a show and meet a few of the forum members.

Thats alright, he didn't know any members would be there until he had asked Alan for some help picking out something for me and evidently i was very identifiable as the navy guy who like imperial german haha. One of these days I will hopefully be able to take some leave and save enough money to attend a show and meet a few of the forum members.
S O S is the best
PH.com has several tables (James LaB)
Steve

You bet Marshall is well known and highly respected. An incredibly knowledgeable historian of Feldgrau uniforms and great guy as anyone who knows him will attest.

As mentioned, an auction allows others to appreciate someone’s collection. I think it’s fitting and marvellous that a collector becomes known to others with an auction. That collector is only unknown to those that didn’t know him. I will raise a glass to Simmons Leigh Park!

Back