The History U.S. Army Boots

Peter_Suciu

Boots are the thing even uniform collectors give little thought to, but I think most soldiers would agree it can be the most crucial part when comfort is considered!
Here is a link to my article on U.S. Army boots for FoxNews:
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/09/01/evolution-combat-boots-from-bootees-to-modern-tactical-boots.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fox also produced a video to go with my story:
video.foxnews.com/v/5561330818001/?#sp=show-clips

That is where you are wrong, Peter. Collectors give a lot of thought to boots especially when they cost more than a pretty pointy helmet. Trousers or breeches follow right behind (with the exception of US which are a dime a dozen) as the depression that followed the war made the use of surplus clothing a necessity. In Germany, even tunics and overcoats were converted to civil use. US breeches are plentiful for two reasons, first, there was a massive amount of them in stores for the 1919 spring offensive, and secondly because they were very uncomfortable to wear.

Great article on boots, although you did miss one point on the straight lasted boots used up to the Civil War, while they could be worn on either foot when they were new, they were usually only worn on the same foot as they would break in to fit the foot. A pair of straight lasted boots, when broken in, will look much like a modern pair of boots.

Back