The House Order of Hohenzollern grouping of Oberleutnant Paul Stehr Pionier Bataillon N°7 and Minen Werfer Kompanie N°14

Hello,

his promotions can be found in the Militär-Wochenblatt. In fact, it is not strange at all that he remained a Leutnant throughout the war. By British and American standards, promotion in the contingents of the German Empire was glacial. In peacetime, before the war, he would have remained a Leutnant for nine or ten years! There was no such thing as acting or temporary rank; hence during the war, Leutnants often commanded companies, Hauptmänner commanded battalions and Majors commanded regiments.

Generally speaking, transfers during the war were not gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt but one assumes he was transferred to PB 124, a wartime raised formation later in the war.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks a lot for these explanations !
That is very different from the French Army in WW1.
I have a complete group with hundreds of documents, souvenirs and many tunics coming from one French Captain commanding in 1918 an Infantry company in which he started the war as Quarter Master Sergent in 1914 !

Maybe a stupid question; but I can not find a PB 124 ?

I really like this group .
If you feel like you can
please tell us a little more about it
How long have you owned it ?
How did you find it ?
from a dealer or from a fellow collector
a great group to have
the story behind such groups would be very interesting
Thanks
Steve
Dear KAGGR#1

Many thanks for your nice comment.
I purchased that group 2 or 3 years ago from a dealer in Europe before the group was visible on his website, I had some kind of exclusivity :)
I probaly paid more than I should but I was so happy to have such a group with pictures, diploma...having an anonymous House Order of Hohenzollern cross is nothing compared to having the same cross with history !
I am not a German speaker but there is probably some nice research to do concerning this group !

Dear KAGGR#1

Many thanks for your nice comment.
I purchased that group 2 or 3 years ago from a dealer in Europe before the group was visible on his website, I had some kind of exclusivity :)
I probaly paid more than I should but I was so happy to have such a group with pictures, diploma...having an anonymous House Order of Hohenzollern cross is nothing compared to having the same cross with history !
I am not a German speaker but there is probably some nice research to do concerning this group !
Thanks for the information
That is very interesting
Best wishes
Steve

Hi Gentlemen

I can not believe it but a few days ago I came across a pair of wartime shoulderboards for a Leutnant in Pionier Bataillon n°7 !!!!
The exact rank and unit of Herr Leutnant Stehr ! I could not resist and I purchased to display with Leutnant Stehr grouping !
Maybe they even belong to Ltn Stehr...who knows....let's dream !

IMG_7804.jpgIMG_7805.jpg

Back