The Kaiser as a Leib Kurassier

Bob,

after some further looking at your very nice photograph, I can add some further details. Although, it is stamped 1906, I believe it is a wee bit earlier. The officers‘ sword scabbards are still not blackened as per AKO of 26 June 1905. His Majesty is flanked by Generaladjutant, Generalleutnant Dietrich Graf von Hülsen-Haeseler and General à la suite Kuno Graf von Moltke. Note General von Hülsen-Haeselerś Star of the Hohenzollern House Order with Swords worn on the upper right chest; this was awarded on 27 January 1904 which further brackets the time frame of the photo. Oberleutnant Prinz Eitel Friedrich in the uniform of 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß is standing next to General Graf von Moltke. Unfortunately, the details are just not clear enough to definitively identify the two Flügeladjutanten but if I were to make an educated guess:

the mounted adjutant would be Major von Friedeburg (at first glance one would think the tunic is the light blue of a Dragoner-Regiment, but I think his tunic is just a little faded) and the officer to Eitel Friedrich‘s left is PLM winner Hauptmann Graf von Soden.

Regards
Glenn

Great Photo
it is very hard to find photos of K W II in his 1 L K R 1 uniform
here is what I can add from my collection
The shoulder straps have some moth damage
I will see if I have any 1980's color photos of his 1 L K R 1 items
on display at Haus Doorn
SteveK W II L K R 1.JPGKaiser Dress Hat L K R  1  b.jpegKaiser Dress Hat L K R 1  a.jpegK W II  1 L K R 1 pair.JPG

Bob,

after some further looking at your very nice photograph, I can add some further details. Although, it is stamped 1906, I believe it is a wee bit earlier. The officers‘ sword scabbards are still not blackened as per AKO of 26 June 1905. His Majesty is flanked by Generaladjutant, Generalleutnant Dietrich Graf von Hülsen-Haeseler and General à la suite Kuno Graf von Moltke. Note General von Hülsen-Haeselerś Star of the Hohenzollern House Order with Swords worn on the upper right chest; this was awarded on 27 January 1904 which further brackets the time frame of the photo. Oberleutnant Prinz Eitel Friedrich in the uniform of 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß is standing next to General Graf von Moltke. Unfortunately, the details are just not clear enough to definitively identify the two Flügeladjutanten but if I were to make an educated guess:

the mounted adjutant would be Major von Friedeburg (at first glance one would think the tunic is the light blue of a Dragoner-Regiment, but I think his tunic is just a little faded) and the officer to Eitel Friedrich‘s left is PLM winner Hauptmann Graf von Soden.

Regards
Glenn
Thanks Glenn for all the detailed information! Incredible!

The photo was taken on September 8, 1906 on the occasion of the inauguration of a memorial stone to commemorate the Bunzelwitz camp under Frederick the Great.
Take alook at this Polish Website with images: https://historia.sokibp.pl/artykuly...-fryderyka-ii-w-okolicach-jaworzyny-slaskiej/

Hi Glenn.

I assume the Flügeladjutant is wearing a field gray experimental uniform.

Regards
Stefan

I assume the Flügeladjutant is wearing a field gray experimental uniform.

Hi Stefan,

great to see you here!

That is a distinct possibility. I recall seeing somewhere a photo with a couple of Flügeladjutanten with the experimental uniform but cannot find it at the moment.

Regards
Glenn

Hi Stefan,

great to see you here!

That is a distinct possibility. I recall seeing somewhere a photo with a couple of Flügeladjutanten with the experimental uniform but cannot find it at the moment.

Regards
Glenn

Dear Glenn,

you mean this one?
Caption: Die Flügeladjutanten Wilhelms II. Major v. Friedeburg, Major v. Neumann-Cosel, Hauptmann Graf v. Soden (von links nach rechts) in der graugrünen Probeuniform im Jahr 1906. Deutlich erkennbar ist der hellere Farbton des Waffenrocks und der Hose im Gegensatz zur dunkelblauen Paradeüberdecke. Die Flügeladjutanten tragen den Paradeanzug.

b4ce77a72e.jpg

From an article in the Zeitschrift für Heereskunde Nr. 449: Die graugrüne Probeuniform für preußische Flügeladjutanten

Back