The "Other" M1895 air vent.

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Here is something that seems to be ignored or never mentioned. To improve ventilation, in 1895 the rear spine on helmets worn by Foot Troops was equipped with a vent near the base of the spike which was fitted with a small sliding cover. This sliding cover allowed the user to increase or decrease the flow of ventilation in the helmet according to the weather conditions. This sliding vent appears to have been only utilized on Infantry helmets. Artillery and other troops did not adopt this feature until some time in 1914.

But......that was only the top vent. The 1895 modification also included a bottom vent which allowed air to circulate through the rear spine. See photo below.

vent.jpg

Below is the no-bottom vent style worn by everyone from 1871 to 1895. This style was used by all arms except infantry right up to 1914.

no_vent.jpg

As many times as I've noted that hole in the rear peak, I never once considered it to have a real purpose.

Chas. :idea1:

What he said . That helps alot in my searching for Haubes.
Mark .G.

Of course, this lets air flow up through the spine itself, I always wondered why that slot was there too. Fiendish cunning, what?

Back