The three greatest movies of all time

joerookery

Based on all the movie discussion lately, I decided to launch a thread on the three greatest movies. Narrowing the list to three was very difficult, but my choices in part were based on historical accuracy.

1. "The Princess Bride" this has everything you could want in a movie; Pirates, swordplay, Giants, dungeons, torture, miracles, true love, and rodents of unusual size.

2. "Strange Brew" Bob and Doug McKenzie's feature film, about one of the most important food groups. This is despite the Canadian influence on this forum. A classic!

3. "Stripes" very tough to fill this third slot, but it won on quotes." My car club called me the cruiser, because I like fast women and fast cars."
--- "they should've called him the dork."

Feel free to add your own.

Joe,
I have not seen Stripes, but I would have to agree on the other two, although I would put the Canadian epic above the Princess Bride.
Gus

What is inconceivable is that Gus has never seen Stripes!!! My God man go to a Video Store!!!!!

James

James LeBrasseur said:
What is inconceivable is that Gus has never seen Stripes!!! My God man go to a Video Store!!!!!

James
Do they have video stores out in the wilds where Gus lives?? For that matter, do they have VCRs? :lol:

Liongules said:
James LeBrasseur said:

James
Do they have video stores out in the wilds where Gus lives?? For that matter, do they have VCRs? :lol:
Yes, we have VCRs, but they are steam powered, and what is a vidio store?
Gus

OOPS,
Maggie just pointed out that Stripes was the one with Bill Murrey in it, I have seen that, I rather liked the cooking scene, Bill is rather handy with a spatula! boom shaka-laka
Gus
By the way, Maggie is very unhappy that Istar was not in the top three, but she will be happy if it is added at #4, just remember, "Telling the truth can be dangerous business..."

It never ceases to amaze me how you Yankee hose heads lap up that Bob and Doug stuff. I mean like get a 5% brew eh! If you you want classic Canuck Hoser comedy including B&D you must watch episodes of SCTV. This show gave birth to the whole hoser genre. It must be some sort of defect in my selfish bastard only child personality.... but I do not really have 3 top pics other than perhaps Dr Zhivago. For some reason, that one always sticks in my mind. Oh and Gus, the Canuck way of spelling Murrey is Murray!!!! Thank God Ben Franklin and his Ameringlish never made it north of the 49th Ha HA! Brian

b.loree said:
the Canuck way of spelling Murrey is Murray!!!! Brian
Oh yeah? Well I can spell I just can not tipe! As far as Dr. Zhivago goes, I think it is disqualifyed when you base the selections on historical accuracy. By the way, Maggie says that is a Chick flick. Another good movie is Thumb Wars.
Gus

joerookery tell tart to list hers![/quote said:
So, Joe wants a little Tart action? What will Col. Sweetness think?

Any way, of course Ishtar is at the top of my list...historically speaking, it is truthful over and over again...some might say it is even prophetic.

Another is "Stiff Upper Lips" a little drama from the BBC...who but the British would think of packing up their lawn to take on vacation with them so that they could have tea on the old sod?

After that it gets tough to choose...but I would have to mention a TV series call "The Vicar of Dibley" especially the "Animals" episode when Alice Tinker describes her beliefs on "I can't believe it's not butter" to the Vicar...hilarious and probably historically accurate in every way.

Tart

OK, I've got to weigh in on this. I'm a movie buff and this was very hard for me. I had to chose by the ones I don't get tired of seeing. Pappillion, Gunga Din, and the newer Saving Private Ryan. Also, I have had some very good news lately, so maybe someday you'll be adding a yet to be made film called The Silver Gift to your lists :thumb up: Corky

Ok 4 feathers the original version is a good movie and rates up there .Stripes and Kelly's Heros .Woof Woof
Mark
Canadian Bacon is another great one up there with IshtAR

Kelly's Heros and The Bridges at Toko-Ri have to be two of my favorites. Along with Big Trouble in Little China.

And for Brian, lighten up. The Americans will never give back the North Pole. It's our and will always be ours. Just be happy that we gave back Quebec. We are.

Paul

I like Kelley's Heros too, but for a long time I thought it was not historicly accurate. a few years ago, a neighbor told me of how he and a mate robbed a bank in France (or Germany, he was not clear on that) They got away with a tank full of paper money, that turned out to be usefull as toilet paper (if you did not mind paper cuts), Father then told me of a friend of his that did the same, thinking that the money was no good, they drove through town shoveling the currrency out of the back of a truck, later to find out that it was good. The point being that Kelley's Heros was rather accurate.
Woof woof (that is Zippy's other dog impression)
Gus
PS It is nice to see that Paul can post with out adding spam to his post.

rember why the thing is white Paul , and if not for the English most of the US would be Canadian. you can have the north pole We hate Snow.
Zippy.

Back