This comes from a picture of a bunch of schutztruppen

Was looking at these older L.G. threads and thought I'd post a pic!

Pre- 1889 Landes Gendarme

Tony & Kaiser said:
I don't know. He is wearing the right helmet, has the post-1889 Swedish cuffs, the cuffs appear to be light enough to be blue.......

Here is the older LG chap with the Polish cuffs worn up to 1889.

LG.jpg

Post 1889 Landes Gendarme with Swedish cuffs.

joerookery said:
:oops: I can't find the other thread with your picture Tony so is this dude an older LG?
shutz5.jpg

[/quote]

[quote="joerookery"]We seen several of these before. It is a Land Gendarmerie helmet. Recently I have seen a picture of some of these guys in the role of feld gendarmerie. These have always been considered police helmets for the rural police of the Kingdom of Prussia, however, their chain of command went up to the Minister of War -- not the interior minister. I haven't really sorted out what all that means but it seems to support that they had a mobilization mission consistent with Feld gendarmerie.[/quote]

Post 1914 Landes Gendarme

Prussian Rural Policeman of the Landes Gendarmerie, employed after mobilization as Feld Gendarmerie (Military Field Policeman). He is armed with a Gew. 88. Gorget has 246 over VIII. Cancellation 23 May 1915, Coln. His dunkelblau M95 style waffenrock tunic has blue Swedish cuffs with double Garde Litzen, which were adopted for the Landgendarmerie in 1889. His pickelhaube has the Garde Eagle with star. Prior to 1895, the L.G. wore a plain Grenadier Eagle without star. The spike is the perlring type. The chinscales are the flat type worn by unmounted "Foot" troops. Mounted L.G. wore a Dragoner pickelhaube with convex chinscales & Garde Eagle with star.

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3570/lg23may1915uk2.jpg[/url]

Nice picture George! I still have not figured out the chain of command thing on these guys. I am not sure how they moved from province police into the military. I do not track their assignment. I'm stuck on boundaries. Province boundaries and corps area boundaries did not always match. Different people were in charge. It also seems that the LG thing was Prussian only. I don't really understand what happened in the other kingdoms or if the little states used these Prussian guys? Keeps me looking!

Back