This one will be a challenge.....

Peter B

Got this one for $320 Canadian (about $265 US). Parts are in excellent shape and I just have to deal with the crazy glue job someone did to the inside.

Missing one side post cover so will be looking for one of those.

What are opinions on the chin strap? Seller says non-original, but it sure looks old and has the correct connectors at the side posts.

Kind of intriguing and I like a challenge!

Peter

$_59 (1).png$_59 (2).png$_59 (3).png$_59 (4).png$_59 (5).png$_59 (7).png$_59.pngResized_20210529_105832.pngResized_20210529_105901.pngResized_20210529_105813.png

Yeah, somebody really messed that up inside, so you have your work cut out for you. I'd be tempted to just leave it alone, as the damage is done. Just using the styro head for photoing I hope? Don't display helmets on styro heads... they're death to leather products.

Ugh!..... I hate when they glue them! Looks like white carpenters glue which is brittle and can be carefully scraped off but as suggested, you might want to just leave it be. I have never seen a repro chin strap in that configuration so it might be original.

Thanks Guys. I'll see what it is really like when I get it. Definitely won't have it on styrofoam! May just leave it alone like you say.

Definitely an interesting chin strap as well.

Cheers.

Peter

The purchase price is very good.In Europe for parts alone you have to give at least 450 USD.Repairing it may be difficult,but I don't know if it's worth it.Leather may not withstand scraping.Regards.
Wojtek

Thanks. I knew the parts were worth it for sure. Will probably move the cockades to my Felt Prussian Guard Pickelhaube, which has copies.

Hate separating things from helmets though. Wish someone didn't have the bright idea to put that glue in.

Thanks. If it looks too daunting when I get it I may just leave it alone. I have inherited a fix it bug in my DNA though……..

I would vote to leave it alone. I saw a beautiful Saxon officer helmet once that displayed very well, but when I picked it up I found that somebody had coated the entire inside with fiberglass!!!
People do some strange things sometimes.

John

So after receiving the helmet and seeing it I decided to leave it as-is, and as recommended by a few members. It has had substantial crush damage to the front under the wappen and the glue repair has saved it. I am very pleased with it.

The chin strap is period and according to Amy an old Bavarian style that has had the ends changed to fit this helmet. It is very soft and delicate and I had to repair two rips in it. I used Aleen’s Leather and Suede glue, which worked really well.

IMG_1673.jpeg
IMG_1675.jpeg
I have attached a few pictures, including one showing the inside of the front where the repair was done. A bit hard to see but if you look closely you can see the glue line in this picture. It kind of goes around in a semicircle.

IMG_1677.jpeg
Here it is in my Prussian Display(second from the right)
IMG_1687.jpegAnd a couple more shots showing it cleaned up with the repaired chin strap.
IMG_1680.jpegIMG_1681.jpegIMG_1683.jpegIMG_1686.jpegThanks for the advice and comments.

Peter

Peter,
It is a tough call, but I think you are better just leaving the pickelhaube's interior alone. Thanks for posting this helmet.
John

Back