those magnificent men in there flying machines

woznotwos

This is what started my fascination with pickelhaubes when i was a child. It didn't occur to me till recently that i could actually start a collection. My favourate film as a child and still love it .

Hmmm ..you are dating yourself with this post sir :) ! The young ones here will not have heard of or seen this film.

Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies known as monte carlo or bust aswell. lol, im so sad to know this............

Having seen "Those magnificent men in their flying machines" as a 21-years old for the first time in January 1967, certainly betrays my age too! I lived in Australia then and was on my way by train from Brisbane to Melbourne. In Sydney I had to change trains, with many many hours to spare between them. Walking through the city I noted a cinema where "something about flying" was being shown, so I made the tough choice not to continue sampling the various Sydney beers in lots of pubs, but went to see the film. I never regretted the decision, and made up for the alcoholic loss later.

Around the same time "The Blue Max" was showing, which I saw too. A couple of totally different, but equally entertaining films!

".....they go uppity-up-up, they go downity-down-down"

Fond memories from my childhood. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

They dont do they you are quite correct .
Terry Thomas , i loved his films as a kid.
As for ''blue max'' another classic. Nice memory Jaap , films and beer !

I still think George Peppard is /was a sleeze ball from the Blue Max !!

But my interest in spikes was spurred on by Klink's firemans helmet on his desk.

Looks like the iconic spike has been replaced

Never watched that one although i've saw clips. These old tv programmes have a lot to answer for in terms of our wallets !

Note that the helmet on the TV series credits is different from the helmet on the jacket of the DVD set. They tried to recreate that iconic image but unfortunately went with the lowest bidder. Both are made up theatrical pieces regardless.

Hogan's Heroes was absolutely the spark that lit my fuse of lifelong collecting.

Just as an additional note; Hogan's Heroes used at least three different Pickelhaubes during the total run of the series. When the series first came out in black and white, what appeared to be an original Prussian model 95 was used. The closing credits did not use the iconic "cap on Pickelhaube spike" that the series is known for.

lgrTwqP.jpg

At the time the series began being produced in color a theatrical version of the Prussian Pickelhaube was used. I remember that it had a cruciform base and it only appeared a couple of times. I doubt that it is the same one pictured below. I think the one below was only used on the DVD cover. The use of this helmet in the TV series, I think, was short lived.

HKFoWGS.jpg

When the famous logo (for lack of a better term) came out the Pickelhaube was again switched to a modified fireman's helmet with a Grenadier Adler.

fLP82sZ.jpg

GrK06Cd.jpg

Other Pickelhaubes periodically made guest appearances, including the Bavarian below.

meMn12M.jpg

When the TV series Hogan's Heroes first came out it definitely had an impact on my collecting. I already owned my first Pickelhaube at that time. The advertisement that really peaked my interest came out of an American Heritage book series:

ZOXbdki.jpg

John :)

We took the afternoon off of school to go see the "Magnificent Men". Some amazing replicas in that movie! My favorite was the Avro triplane, and it really bugged me that they identified the Farman as a 'Curtis'. Seriously. If you're making replicas, make the RIGHT ONES. :)
I remember those as a kid as well and the ad that John posted above is the one that got me interested. I do know that it was more fun seeing the helmets on Hogan's Heroes as a kid, rather than a collector when I started picking apart details. The helmets on the tray were from the pilot episode (my wife and I watched it a few weeks ago!)... Hogan also used Klink's 'haube as a nut cracker. But when they set a fake fire in the Kommandant's office, Klink climbed out of the window with his Pickelhaube in hand.

:D Ron

Back