Three Finds - Need a bit of help

poshman

Hello everyone, I have acquired these three helmets and have been looking around for information on identification. I may be interested in selling but would really like to know some history on them first. If you can add (or correct) any knowledge or possible value that would help me out a lot.
These seem like really wonderful pieces!

The first: I have identified as a Prussian 1856-1857 Picklehaube worn by the infantry
039.jpg

The second: Is a German Saxon Ulan (or Uhlan or Ulanen - lancers) Tschapka with a Sachsen Wappen on Gilt Star.
041.jpg

The third (Bavarian) and most complete with box, covers, and both the spike and _____. I am not sure what the proper name is for it or what it is made out of... Horse hair? possibly worn only during parades. Again, I don't have a specific date...
043.jpg

From what I can tell, please correct me if I am wrong, these all appear to be pre-1914/1915 because much of the decals and straps are made of metal. Any help you can give me in these great finds would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome tothe forum Poshman,
The first helmet is a bit later than you have IDed, and for a Dragoon (I think) They are very nice examples from what I can see, and I am sure that you will be supplied with more informatin from members that are more informed on this vintage of helmets than I am. The part you did not know the hame of, is a Trichter, the same word used to discribe the crater , or shell hole in a battle field. I am sure you will be asked for better photos, and photos of any markings these helmets have.
welcome
Gus

Your helmet that is (sadly) missing the front visor, is for a Beamte, which was an official working for the Army. Basically, a bean-counter.

The hair on your Bavarian Trichtor is made from yak hair. That helmet was worn by several Chevaulegers (Mounted Rifles) Regts, click HERE for a list of the ones with silver fittings.

The Saxon Ulanen Tschapka is amazing. Wow! It is from Kgl. Sächs.1. Ulanen-Regt. Kaiser Franz Josef von Österreich, König von Ungarn'' Nr.17
(Oschatz) XII Armee Korps or Kgl. Sächs.2. Ulanen-Regt. Nr.18 (Leipzig) XIX Armee Korps.

Hi everyone, I have taken some extra pictures of the first two helmets. I have chosen to sell these two. If you are interested please contact me. Also there is now a posting on the “For Sale” section of this site.
Thank you

Saxon
DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

Prussian
DSC_0333-1.jpg

DSC_0337-1.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0335-1.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

I am interested in your Bavarian helmet. If it is available for sale please contact me at:
[email protected]
If you are interested in finding out more about either your Bavarian or Saxon helmet/Tschapka, I have written a couple of books that will be of help. Again, please write for more information.
Jim Turinetti

Back