Together Again..or the one that almost got away

Larmo

Greetings Gang

I've been wanting to post this little tale for awhile now and today seemed a good day to do so.

It concerns the reuniting of two lots of artifacts relating to the service of one Oberst Joseph Bauerschubert, late of the 13th Bavarian Infantry and a decorated veteran of the 1866 and 1870 Wars.
We purchased the items in the first four photos after being advised of their availability by a good friend of ours. We contacted the seller, worked out a price and the grouping was ours.
bav2.jpg
bav4.jpg
bav5.jpg
bav6.jpg

What I find particularly charming about this grouping is the honor and respect paid to the awarding of his 1870, Iron Cross Second Class. In his obituary he is referred to as "Ritter des eisernen Kreuzes II.Kl" and a similar honorific is placed upon the lid of the EK2 issue box as well. This little box is further honored by his photo being placed inside, either by the Oberst, or by someone who cared a great deal for him.

We fast forward 18 months or so and Terri and I are sitting at the airport waiting to board an airplane bound for Louisville and the SOS Show. Since I had time on my hands (we're always early, Terri hates to be late) and we had our laptop with us I was scrolling through websites looking for the elusive 1870 war items. While checking through the same dealers site from whom we purchased the first set this popped up!
bav3i.jpg
bav7.jpg

It was Oberst Bauerschubert's period photo album and set into the cover was a Prinzen size EK2 and 1870 Campaign Medal with another Prinzen EK2 serving as the locking clasp! I almost fell out of my chair...I couldn't believe my eyes. Happily I knew we would be seeing the seller at the SOS as he is a regular there. I made sure I looked him up early on and and we arranged a deal.
The photos show the good Oberst throughout his career both as a young soldier and later as the commander of the 13th Regiment. I've picked a few photos here for your enjoyment, the last one shows the two groupings reunited with a few other period "bits" thrown in for effect. The reuniting of these two lots was one of the happiest collecting moments of my life. I'm still stoked. :D
Cheers, Larry

bav8.jpg
bav9.jpg

bav10.jpg
bav11.jpg

bav1.jpg

Marvellous story and congratulations on a splendid buy.

I'm a little surprised the dealer didn't inform you he had the photo album etc when you bought the first four items.

- Brett

Thanks guys, glad you liked it.

Brett, that is a very good question. When I contacted him about the second lot I did ask if there was anything else, but he had nothing more. I do remember reading his description regarding the the first lot that it came from an Auction House in Germany. Maybe there are other bits out there yet.

Larry

Back